Rhyolite = Pumice ???

dacoontz

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Real quick question. I know they are similar but not exactly from what I can gather. So, Question is can Rhyolite be used like pumice for bonsai soil. Read a bit that it is basically pumice with silica which may give it more of an acidic structure. However, does this lead to acidic soil. If so, imagine it would not be ideal. Thoughts? I have a good source for rhyolite, not so much for pumice.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I would think it would be a fine component in a bonsai mix. Due to its high silica properties, I wouldn’t think it as water retentive as pumice though.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I don't think rhyolite is porous like pumice. At least the rhyolite my 8th grade science teacher showed us wasn't. I remember it looking more like two-tone granite. I'd get a small sample to try before investing in a lot of it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rhyolite is the volcanic equivalent of granite. In the scale of size and time of a bonsai pot, it is completely neutral from a chemical point of view. Simply, if you use crushed rhyolite, you'll probably got a low porosity of about 30 % and a high density which usually are not considered as best for a bonsai substrate.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The rhyolite from the Hilton landscape supply website looks indistinguishable from the “Oregon Pumice” I use with great success, and I suspect they are just being more specific as to the chemical composition of their particular pumice for the benefit of all the growers in your area who focus on “secondary metabolites” of herbaceous plants.

On some trees I use this stuff as 100% of my potting mix and it works great. There is only one pumice mine in Oregon, last I checked, and I’m pretty sure all pumice in the PNW is this stuff.

dacoontz

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The rhyolite from the Hilton landscape supply website looks indistinguishable from the “Oregon Pumice” I use with great success, and I suspect they are just being more specific as to the chemical composition of their particular pumice for the benefit of all the growers in your area who focus on “secondary metabolites” of herbaceous plants.

On some trees I use this stuff as 100% of my potting mix and it works great. There is only one pumice mine in Oregon, last I checked, and I’m pretty sure all pumice in the PNW is this stuff.

Lol, it’s like you followed me there. 😁

I’ve screened a couple buckets and it’s light weight porous stuff. Really not too different from traditional white pumice you see widely available in small bags at the Home and Garden stores.

Thanks for all the replies.

Top Bottom