Richmond, Va. bonsai exhibition

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To all those bonsai folks in the Richmond, Va. area, my long-time bonsai friends have been tapped for a month-long bonsai exhibit at Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens. The exhibit will run from the last day of Jan. through Feb. It's worth a trip over there to see. Show will include tropicals as well as temperate zone species.

Some of their trees this fall. First photo --scots pine, Bald Cypress, juniper. Second photo--collected hackberry, third-will leafed ficus

Attachments

• b&t.jpg
    b&t.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 120
  • hackberrynative.jpg
    hackberrynative.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 84
  • ficusb&T.jpg
    ficusb&T.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 80

HankDio

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is so great to hear, but also disappointing I heard about it here before I heard about it from the club. I'll be there for sure.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is so great to hear, but also disappointing I heard about it here before I heard about it from the club. I'll be there for sure.
It's breaking news ;-) I was down at Gardens Unlimited this weekend and heard about it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One thing--the link to Gardens Unlimited on the event page goes to a FB page for an unrelated landscaping business on the west coast. Working now to get that link fixed.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just got the program for the event. Here's a glimpse of some of the trees (which also includes some LARGE tropicals). BTW, I wrote the forward for the program...Go see this if you have time in Feb. -- what else do you have to do in that bleak month? 😁

Attachments

• gardensunlimited1.jpg
    gardensunlimited1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 61
  • gardensunlimitedtwo.jpg
    gardensunlimitedtwo.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Gardensunlimited3.jpg
    Gardensunlimited3.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 94

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I appreciate this. I will get down there but have not yet scheduled a day.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FYI,

Thank you for this. I was just talking to a friend about this yesterday. My distance driving is a little impaired presently but hopefully in a couple more weeks we will make the trip.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I attended the opening night of the show over the weekend. It's pretty good. Here are some pics. You'll have to attend to get a better look...

Attachments

• show1.jpg
    show1.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 55
  • show2.jpg
    show2.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 50
  • show3.jpg
    show3.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 50

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Much appreciated. Did they have a good turnout? I am looking forward to seeing it but it might still be two weeks away.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Much appreciated. Did they have a good turnout? I am looking forward to seeing it but it might still be two weeks away.
Very good turnout for the opening on Saturday night (which was a Ginter member-only event). The exhibit opened to the public yesterday. The event on Saturday was pretty crowded. Had issues getting down the aisles and keeping out of other people's photographs. Trees will be swapped out for others as the exhibit progresses. There are a lot of tropicals now, but I know there are some deciduous and conifers coming. FWIW, to add fuel to the fire on the wooden pot argument, there is a collected sea grape in a wood burl pot in the exhibit...

Attachments

• show4.jpg
    show4.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 41
  • show5.jpg
    show5.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 43

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like it will be worth visiting a couple times if the time can be found.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like it will be worth visiting a couple times if the time can be found.
I'm going to go a couple of times on trips to visit friends in RVA--who seem to be multiplying as they flee the DMV for retirement, lower cost of living, etc.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was the low light part of the theme?
Low light was partially due to the show being in a glass conservatory at night and yes some of it was for effect. Another tree --a Southern Hackberry collected in a Louisa County cow pasture 20 years ago.

Attachments

• show6.jpg
    show6.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 27
Top Bottom