Ridgeway Trees at Pacific Bonsai Museum

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great show; beautiful trees in a special venue. Thanks for sharing.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice, thanks for sharing.

My favorites are the 2 Japanese Larch, Satsuki Azalea, and Tsukumo Cypress. :)

Congrats for the recognition, honor, and opportunity. :)

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
looking forward to thursday, when I volunteer up there and will be able to see the display live and in person. :)

The curator has done a marvelous job of inviting private collections to be placed on display for all to enjoy. Eric and Vic are very personable to be around with and inspiring talents.

Telperion

Seedling
Reaction score
Very nice! Congrats and thanks for stories.
Chris

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks to all for the kind remarks..... It's very appreciated by us both. It's always a little nerve wracking to 'put it all out there'.

Minimalist is probably a perfect word to say... the least 'developed' of the trees in the show, which would be the redwood, actually represents hours of intensive work by Eric to enhance the deadwood in a complementary fashion. That the tree lives is really the only point of their being foliage... with an end wish of almost making one feel like the piece is a near mountain you can make out the trees on, but really what you love is the craggy peaks.

Eric actually regards most of my work as 'over developed'... part of the charm of doing this together. If a little friction is needed to start a fire, we are often rubbing off against each other's work in a way which spurs on the style of the other. lol

Natural is always a goal... unless it's my satsuki... which I want to see lush and vibrant. lol

Considering this represents only nine years of work, I'm more than satisfied with the outcome. The years to come should be a great adventure no doubt.

Warmly,

Victrinia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
looking forward to thursday, when I volunteer up there and will be able to see the display live and in person. :)

The curator has done a marvelous job of inviting private collections to be placed on display for all to enjoy. Eric and Vic are very personable to be around with and inspiring talents.

Sorry that I won't see you tomorrow Benbow-san.....

xox,

V

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Victrina, it's always a pleasure to see your exquisite work. Your insight, advice, and kind words are an inspiration to us all. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Blast from the past....lol

Found a few photos readily of some of the trees from the day they were each acquired. lol

MHyamadori_sm.jpg

Kotohime_dayone.jpg

grape1.jpg

There's a thing to be said about being able to look back like this... makes me shake my head. lol

V

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just getting that hemlock into that drum was a process of years..... I forget sometimes...lol

As was tipping the grape...lol and gosh I forgot how scraggly that kotohime was... lol

V

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great thread, great trees and the narratives are exceptionally well done, worthy of a book. I will be looking for the announcement of the books release.

Thanks

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So wonderful to have such an anticipation when opening this thread... And it certainly didn't disappoint.

I would say that you and Eric have been very inspirational to my own work, and this is another example of why.

Thanks ever so much for posting, and say hi to E for me.

GerhardG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
his interest was piqued but not given a place to take root until a friend gave him a small juniper for his birthday in 2006. In 2007 he moved to WA to live with his now wife, Victrinia. Bonsai brought them together and has kept them that way ever since

About the same time I started, a.k.a. yesterday in bonsai terms :D :D Just goes to show what can be done!

Well done, lovely trees, thanks for posting :cool:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will Judy.... :) I'm glad you enjoyed it. I almost started the thread with a "here you go Judy"... lol

I look forward to you coming up by our little place some day you are up this way. :)

V

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
About the same time I started, a.k.a. yesterday in bonsai terms :D :D Just goes to show what can be done!

Well done, lovely trees, thanks for posting :cool:

When David DeGroot asked us to show... that was the only reason I accepted - showing what could be done. I know we don't have the greatest trees under the sun... but for two fully employed hobbiests of less than a decade, it's a pretty good body of work. I thought of it as being able to show people some of what could be done, even if bonsai isn't all one does.

There is another show scheduled right after ours... a retired gentleman of not inconsiderable means who has amassed a beautiful collection, who brings in artists to design/work it for him... I see the value in that as much as what we have done. But I am GLAD we weren't following after. LOL

I don't know if the third show was ever arranged... but basically it was intended to be a gentleman who I know to have both money and the talent to go with it. I saw it as a beautiful plan of what's possible in all ways.

I don't think David necessarily planned it out that way consciously, but it seemed quite perfect to me when he told me who he was asking for this year's display series.

Kindly,

Victrinia

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congratulations! Great work and thank you for sharing!

Top Bottom