Right Bonsai Soil Mix?

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My trident maple came in today and it tiny! It's not potted and has wrapped roots. The care paper that came with it said to pot it in bonsai soil like Boon's mix.

Would this be the correct stuff?

Boon's Mix

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you’re going to go to the trouble to order new soil, I’d go with straight akadama for maples.

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boon’s mix is named after the master who popularized using that set of specific soil components.

You can always buy the individual components, sift and mix it yourself. The recipe is shared openly by Boon as well as others on this site.

You can also buy from https://www.superflybonsai.com/products/boon-bonsai-soil-mix

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I second the superflybonsai.com suggestion. The one you posted looks ok through the window but lots of people use superfly so it has a good rep. If you just have the one tree, may as well buy a bag. Its when you get a big collection going you’ll start wanting to look for cheaper alternatives.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Uniform particle size is far more important than what the particles are. Trees can grow in lots of different mediums but will always need drainage and air for optimal root development.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If you’re going to go to the trouble to order new soil, I’d go with straight akadama for maples.

I have no soil now. I didn't realize when I ordered the tree it would just come with wrapped roots. I thought it would come potted.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Boon’s mix is named after the master who popularized using that set of specific soil components.

You can always buy the individual components, sift and mix it yourself. The recipe is shared openly by Boon as well as others on this site.

You can also buy from https://www.superflybonsai.com/products/boon-bonsai-soil-mix

Thank you, Amazon has super fly bonsai soil as well. I have no soil right now and the trees roots are only wrapped. I thought that it would come in at least a pot with some kind of soil.

The only issue is that it won't be here till Friday. Will the tree survive that long with wrapped roots? Ordering from the the site you linked will have it here Thursday, but I'm paying more for shipping than the cost of the soil itself.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you, Amazon has super fly bonsai soil as well. I have no soil right now and the trees roots are only wrapped. I thought that it would come in at least a pot with some kind of soil.

The only issue is that it won't be here till Friday. Will the tree survive that long with wrapped roots? Ordering from the the site you linked will have it here Thursday, but I'm paying more for shipping than the cost of the soil itself.
Grab some dirt from outside, in a garden or anything. Just chuck it on the roots loosely, and keep the whole thing covered in something, black bag, etc. It should be fine.

If it has any leaves emerging, keep it in shade and away from wind, as not to stress the leaves in to transpiring more than than need to, as they don't have a solid foundation to draw moisture from, yet.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Grab some dirt from outside, in a garden or anything. Just chuck it on the roots loosely, and keep the whole thing covered in something, black bag, etc. It should be fine.

If it has any leaves emerging, keep it in shade and away from wind, as not to stress the leaves in to transpiring more than than need to, as they don't have a solid foundation to draw moisture from, yet.

Will keeping in the method you described in the black bag inside work till Friday when the soil comes in?

This is what it looks like currently:

20210406_093504.jpg

I plan on making another thread on what I should do with this tree from the start and adding the picture to that thread as well.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Will keeping in the method you described in the black bag inside work till Friday when the soil comes in?

This is what it looks like currently:

View attachment 366086

I plan on making another thread on what I should do with this tree from the start and adding the picture to that thread as well.
Thats why i said it :). i dont see why not.

Also, in that bag, you sure it is not in some kinda nursery soil already? Looks a bit fat to not have any soil round it. May just be fine like that till Friday. Make sure its outside though, and in shade. Dont want it inside, ever.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thats why i said it :). i dont see why not.

Also, in that bag, you sure it is not in some kinda nursery soil already? Looks a bit fat to not have any soil round it. May just be fine like that till Friday. Make sure its outside though, and in shade. Dont want it inside, ever.

It might have soil in it already but didn't want to cut into it to find out.

I just put it outside on the balcony where it doesn't get sun at all.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It might have soil in it already but didn't want to cut into it to find out.

I just put it outside on the balcony where it doesn't get sun at all.
Cool. Well it should be fine no matter what you do really. It’s a tough species. Do what you think is best, in the worst case, buy another.

In fact, buy 5 more right now :) give you some room to experiment

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Cool. Well it should be fine no matter what you do really. It’s a tough species. Do what you think is best, in the worst case, buy another.

In fact, buy 5 more right now :) give you some room to experiment

I don't have that kind of room on the balcony. I will maybe get one more, but a different species.

Top Bottom