Ring Bark or Tourniquet Layering

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have been reading a lot about these techniques, but was wondering when the best time is to initiate such a practice for a deciduous tree.

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Usually it is recommended to start the layer after they leafed, preferably once the leaves have hardened a bit. It also depends on the exact species.

ymmv,
Michael

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I am trying this on two species right now.

I am trying the tourniquet on a little leaf cordia (Cordia parvifolia) and I have inserted a crape myrtle (Lagerstroemia indica) through the middle of a CD. I don't know how they will progress but I will post results when I have them.

Attachments

• IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 95

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Milehigh--why did you want to do this technique to the tree in the first pic? The nebari seem to be pretty good in that pic, at least to me...?

Daniel

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Milehigh--why did you want to do this technique to the tree in the first pic? The nebari seem to be pretty good in that pic, at least to me...?

Daniel

Horrible reverse taper. I cut it down to about two inches as well. The entire thing needed to be re-grown. We will see what happens.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Horrible reverse taper. I cut it down to about two inches as well. The entire thing needed to be re-grown. We will see what happens.

You cut it down to about two inches at the same time you are trying to air layer? Won't that work against the tree throwing new roots?

Chris

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
You cut it down to about two inches at the same time you are trying to air layer? Won't that work against the tree throwing new roots?

Chris

Hum, yes now in retrospect I suppose you are right. Well we do live and learn. I will still post the results so we can all see what happened. Thanks for the corrective Chris. It really helps quite a lot to have guidance and correction when it is needed.

One fantastic thing about this particular plant is how easy it roots. when I cut off the top I just stuck it in a small starter pot, dusted it with hormone and it is now growing quite well.

Top Bottom