RIP George Yamasaki

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sacbee/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=139809891
One of the great old men of bonsai has left us at the age of 105. Many of us in Northern California have fond memories of George Yamasaki. George was in a large part responsible for the many bonsai enthusiasts in the Greater Sacramento area. He was one of the first to teach bonsai and offer good bonsai material in the region.
I had the good fortune to go on juniper collecting trips and suiseki hunts with George about 20 years ago when he was in his eighties and I was in my thirties and he wore me out trying to keep up with him despite the age difference. He was not a large man, and he'd show up back at the truck carrying a tree or stone that weighed as much as he did. He was a cordial host to visitors and had a great sense of humor.

Paul

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I am saddened to see this...So many of our elders have gone... My heartfelt condolences to his family and all who knew him.
Irene

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
George was 105? A long rich life with a lot of family and a lot of trees...:)

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Yamasaki nursery in Auburn, California was only 20 miles away from where I lived. I used to stop there in the late 60s and early 70s to buy roses for my mother and girlfriend. George had a beautiful 3 acre nursery. I can't recall if I ever met the man. Now there is a shopping mall on the site. He was discussed at our bonsai club meetings last year and at that time he was still very much involved with bonsai. There is still a nursery in Auburn that carries on his name. I am sure he is missed by the bonsai community in Northern California.

Art

Top Bottom