RIP in pieces

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Turn away while you still can...

Voles got to my two favorite privet projects, my Nippon daisies from @Pitoon, and my crab apple (there may be more, but I'm too afraid to look now)...

Can probably ground layer the crab, and maybe air layer a trunk from the larger privet, but I'm pretty sad.

Guess I need to build a hardware cloth cage for next winter...

PXL_20230222_160841373~2.jpg

PXL_20230222_160755898~2.jpg

PXL_20230222_161434367.jpg

PXL_20230222_155850541.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ouch indeed. Freaking voles...I have similar issues with Chipmunks (who are waking up early because of the warm weather.) Squirrels are currently nipping off the ends of branches on my in-ground Arakawa maple because they want the rising sap. Happens every year...it's just early this year...

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I feel your pain. That’s a bummer.
I also will be buying hardware cloth this year.

I planted some stuff to grow out in a new bed this fall.
92E10240-8AFE-4D55-88DA-288FA3D2E079.jpeg
With exception of the large elm at left, all plants were decimated by early winter.

Also may have lost a half dozen plants to hungry rabbits that got into my greenhouse this year.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow! I am so sorry. Those are vicious critters you have.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's sux! No other way to put it. :-(

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I should have taken the hint when they did my regular apple tree last year.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey @mattspinniken I remember you mentioning you were going to build some cages in @M. Frary's tragic thread...

I think I saw you loading them up on your Instagram last fall. Any pictures?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
oooooch condolences. They went hard on those, hopefully it's just those deciduous trees, usually conifers get passed over

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Brutal. Rodents got only one of my trees last year, it just so happened to be my most expensive and nicest. At least they have taste.

I've thrown a bunch of stuff like this around my over wintering area:

There are a few different options for different species. These STINK! No damage yet this year. I know I also put down some MoleMax.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have an implant thing that I stick in the ground , every 30 seconds it chirps , no issues from rodents of any kind all winter long . I also sprinkle stuff from time to time around my stuff outside to act as a deterrent

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have an implant thing that I stick in the ground , every 30 seconds it chirps , no issues from rodents of any kind all winter long . I also sprinkle stuff from time to time around my stuff outside to act as a deterrent

I checked that out too (mine was Yard Sentinel) and it definitely worked but was too audible with my proximity to neighbors. And my poor dogs hated it! I thought there was a way to make it inaudible but it drove me nuts too, maybe I was using it wrong

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I checked that out too (mine was Yard Sentinel) and it definitely worked but was too audible with my proximity to neighbors. And my poor dogs hated it! I thought there was a way to make it inaudible but it drove me nuts too, maybe I was using it wrong
It wasn’t too loud just audible 30 feet … I’ve gotten no grief albeit I only use it in winter when peoples windows are closed anyway .. also freight train tracks are 3 football fields from the town so the audible level for noise is definitely at a different level for what’s an acceptable noise level and what isn’t

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Awful! Gnawing critters are the worst. Sorry for your setback, and that first tree was super cool too.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
...................................................hard to know what to say. So sorry!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Wow, so sorry. I hate all rodents. Last year the squirrel's decimated almost all of my jades and basically created havoc on many of my trees, digging in pots and snipping branches. I have a bunch of Nippon daisy cuttings taken from my @Pitoon plants that you are welcome to.

Top Bottom