RIP Reiner Goebel

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How sad.I used to like looking at his website and how he wintered his trees in the ground with a covering of mulch or leaves.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I never met him... but I always have mixed emotions when I read threads like this. On one hand, Father Time is undefeated, and we all have to go...

On the other hand, how nice it is to think that when I go, strangers might pause to mourn my passing. Friends in bonsai!

So to you, Reiner, I toast your memory!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I knew Reiner form one of the bonsai sites now defunct. I met him several times, the last time in 2000 at the MABA show in Michigan. He was a talented and generous person and will be missed.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This is the exact purpose of my post.
Like Vance, I knew some of his posts on IBC......
We talked a lot before he kind of dropped off the radar. He lived in Canada and did a lot of nice things with Maples as I remember. As I mentioned previously I got to meet him face to face at the MABA meeting in 2000 when we had Kimura as a guest speaker.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I knew Reiner form one of the bonsai sites now defunct. I met him several times, the last time in 2000 at the MABA show in Michigan. He was a talented and generous person and will be missed.

You and Reiner were the guys I distinctly remembered from gardenweb.com. One of the only people I know of who had a Balsam fir....and a nice one at that. That's still on my bucket list.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also knew Reiner from a very long time ago from the beginnings of IBC and Gardenweb before that on the 'net. He was always a constant source of knowledge and generous with that knowledge. His work pioneering collecting native northeastern tree species for bonsai (along with a couple of other Canadians, like John Biel) laid the foundation for us.

reiner.jpgreiner garden.jpg

A link to a picture of him
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/...he-toronto-bonsai-society-picture-id499289135

His garden
http://bonsaibark.com/2009/05/20/backyard-bonsai-displays-2-reiner-goebel/

link to more of his trees--scroll down
http://www.hhpots.com/guest.html

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow...his trees were impressive. Even though it's a first for me to hear his name...I am always honored to hear of one who helped pave the way early in in this hobby. May he find rest...and his family/friends finds peace in their grief.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I still mourn that I lost contact with him after MABA. I'm not sure what happened but it seemed he just went away. I think when he lost his Amour Maple his spirit was wounded.

Top Bottom