River birch advice

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
So I found this tree at a regular nursery I'm assuming it's a river birch as it had no ID tags on it. I can't locate any info on river birch as bonsai. The 3 questions I have are...
1) is it bonsai worthy?
2) do birch back bud well?
3) I've saw a few people say that birch finer branching die off alot is that true for birch branches in general or just certain species of birch? I think the dieback part scares me the most because I'm definitely gonna have to do a chop for taper? And as usual sry for the sucky pictures

Attachments

• 20211228_163516.jpg
    20211228_163516.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 234
  • 20211228_163529.jpg
    20211228_163529.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 228

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Visual interest yes but how will this thing react to a cut back? Will it push buds? I guess I'm trying to figure out will it respond well with bonsai culture and if there's any special steps I should take before treating it as another deciduous tree?

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Take this with a grain, because I have zero first hand experience - BUT, take it slow.

In regards to chopping/hard cut-backs, first try to build a stronger lower leader by reducing the top slightly/slowly. Look for posts by @Paulpash on this - I've asked this question of him when I had a birch I wanted to work on (some landscapers ran over mine when we were having some work done :( ).

Other than that, listen to the Mirai podcast with Dennis Vojtilla - some good tips in there from someone with an award winning birch.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Take this with a grain, because I have zero first hand experience - BUT, take it slow.

In regards to chopping/hard cut-backs, first try to build a stronger lower leader by reducing the top slightly/slowly. Look for posts by @Paulpash on this - I've asked this question of him when I had a birch I wanted to work on (some landscapers ran over mine when we were having some work done :( ).

Other than that, listen to the Mirai podcast with Dennis Vojtilla - some good tips in there from someone with an award winning birch.
That's hilarious I actually just started searching Mirai for videos.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All the birch up here seem to shoot from the root collar if they are damaged or stumped so I assume you'd want to graft before a chop. IDK if anyone has even bothered trying to graft birch though. Most people dislike birch and advise against it but I like them and they are everywhere up here so I'm giving them a go. I'm also stupid new to growing little trees and just thinking out loud here.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Not sure of the price but if cheap I would go for it. Pretty rare to find something like that in a nursery. As for the chop, I would chop the smaller trunk above the “v”. If it throws out growth, kill the bigger trunk. If not, then you could graft something on it.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
3) I've saw a few people say that birch finer branching die off alot is that true for birch branches in general or just certain species of birch? I think the dieback part scares me the most because I'm definitely gonna have to do a chop for taper? And as usual sry for the sucky pictures

I don't have any birch bonsai at the moment (aside from one young prospect that is being grown in the ground) but I do have a large river birch (Betula nigra) in my front yard and yes, it drops branches like crazy. Anything up to about 1/2" is suspect, especially if it is a lower branch that gets a lot of shade.

I notice it the most in spring but I can't say if the winter truly killed it or just finished off a branch that was weakened anyway.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Chek out this blog, the dude have nice Birchs Czech Yamadori

AVvXsEiTkSVRQ6Fb2AmZOveov1jzWGsBZmLj8-ruE-v4MoWNjRVkaMZJ2he-nA4zsPPzEACfQ6-_gjbd_wDE_pf1WWlEhkDvf_4dmxMw6mYAL3NnApY51tB_TTskDr6B60Yy1HanjiDsRaT_kFth3c6rW5qRAT8_oxD4k26W1zSepgcnceZ-5GyJsLKVZtsR=s838

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
So question #3 how well do birch back bud? I'm considering buying the tree tomorrow btw?

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would buy that for the right price. Mine buds up just like any other super vigorous deciduous tree. But you're going to have to just try and see for yourself. Fine branching dying over the winter is a totally different thing than trunk dieback during a chop. I haven't ever heard anyone mention dieback from chopping BUT almost no one uses/writes extensively about birch. And for what it's worth, if it's a birch tree AND happy in zone 8 GA it's very probably a river birch. There is a a cultivar called "dura heat" that is very popular down south. It is more heat tolerant and has smaller leaves than the species

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Not yet had to do a little research first. Apparently the tree cultivar is called fox valley or little king river birch. It's a dwarf variety with a 3 in + trunk that also comes with a $400 price tag. Now the question is, is it really worth it? I'm leaning towards no but it's definitely an awesome tree so I'm on the fence

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
400 bucks its a lot for that kind of material.. you will need to chop it down, reduce the rootball.. very risky

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
400 bucks its a lot for that kind of material.. you will need to chop it down, reduce the rootball.. very risky
My thoughts exactly not to mention my lack of experience buuuut I do like taking risk and I think if successful it would be a one in a few tree IF SUCCESSFUL!!!

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
damnnn knowing that it's a dwarf makes me like it even more. But for a fickle tree that could provide a lot of frustration, that's a little steep. mine was $26 on clearance haha. But not anything as nice as the one you pictured

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
I do have this thing that I do where I just keep coming by and inquiring about the tree monthly until someone at whatever nursery just ask me how much do you want to pay for it? Persistence usually gets a good discount 😆😆😆

Top Bottom