RMJ first styling with Mauro Stemberger

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Special tree. Wow. That deadwood almost looks like a wing in places. Super cool!

Love the pot too!

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice tree. Great pot. Wonderful composition.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
That’s a really nice tree, as for the foliage, I think I’d like it more without all the green outside of the shari (on the right side and above) making the flow to the left.
that shari is awesome.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
That’s a really nice tree, as for the foliage, I think I’d like it more without all the green outside of the shari (on the right side and above) making the flow to the left.
that shari is awesome.
screen_shot_2021-02-01_at_7.59.23_pm.png

This could be the new design and evolution

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like it with all the foliage. It shows a tree that had a hard life but persevered despite it.
It could be thinned some but reducing the foliage as much as suggested might compromise the tree IMO

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
1000010373.jpg1000010373.jpg

Update on this RMJ.
This bonsai took a step forward with the help of many students at Mauro Dream Bonsai school.

Many helped wire the tree and Chris Sambolin took the lead on placing the branches this season.

I am thrilled with the result and growth of this RMJ.

New pot in 2024.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Still a cool tree but I think the foliage on top of the Shari takes away from it .but even with the original styling I still felt there was some rugedness and a crown… to me it has too many pads . I like what you originally envisioned but nice tree none the less.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Much better! still to me the foliage laying on top of the deadwood at the crown is very distracting and really diminishes its visual impact.
Still a cool tree but I think the foliage on top of the Shari takes away from it .but even with the original styling I still felt there was some rugedness and a crown… to me it has too many pads . I like what you originally envisioned but nice tree none the less.
Thank you both.

We definitely consider the option of the crown underneath the live vein and deadwood.

After a good discussion it was decided that long term this would be the strongest design.

In the future it could be a cool redesign option.

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Didn’t see this thread… started to read and what an outstanding tree… phenomenal first styling… than got to a choice of the pot and me personally think it lost all charm when was loaded into this pot. For me these two just don’t fly together. I think this tree would need something more spherical… half open… to compliment shape of wood and overall canopy.

Edited to add photo… I would think about something like this. Curvature of the pot would counter play with the way trunk is bent… and these roots wouldn’t stick out so badly.

Sorry if I sounded too critical.

Attachments

• IMG_1026.jpeg
    IMG_1026.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 12

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thank you both.

We definitely consider the option of the crown underneath the live vein and deadwood.

After a good discussion it was decided that long term this would be the strongest design.

In the future it could be a cool redesign option.
Yeah man not to be too critical just food for thought .. it’s a great tree I’d eat a plate of bull eggs / rocky mtn oysters if it meant I could take this juniper home

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
I like the style as is, fantastic.
I guess that’s why they make white and red color trucks.
Again great tree.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Didn’t see this thread… started to read and what an outstanding tree… phenomenal first styling… than got to a choice of the pot and me personally think it lost all charm when was loaded into this pot. For me these two just don’t fly together. I think this tree would need something more spherical… half open… to compliment shape of wood and overall canopy.

Edited to add photo… I would think about something like this. Curvature of the pot would counter play with the way trunk is bent… and these roots wouldn’t stick out so badly.

Sorry if I sounded too critical.
Thank you for the suggestion.

I'll definitely take a look at the suggestion.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I do believe after this particular bonsai grows in spring, we will further simplify the lines and sizes of pads. Also the apex has a lot of growing to do before it is ready.

The left side of the tree in particular is still a bit heavy and the center interior branches need more growth and density. Next growing season will be developing the design more.

Plus I am not still certain about this pot. The colors are beautiful together, the shape is not working for me at this time. @NaoTK made a few suggestions a couple years ago, and I took his advice and found a pot more similar to his suggestions.

First StyeThe Question Bonsai V1.jpeg

2nd style

The Question V2.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do believe after this particular bonsai grows in spring, we will further simplify the lines and sizes of pads. Also the apex has a lot of growing to do before it is ready.

The left side of the tree in particular is still a bit heavy and the center interior branches need more growth and density. Next growing season will be developing the design more.

Plus I am not still certain about this pot. The colors are beautiful together, the shape is not working for me at this time. @NaoTK made a few suggestions a couple years ago, and I took his advice and found a pot more similar to his suggestions.

First StyeView attachment 520017

2nd style

View attachment 520018
First off congrats. This is bad ass. Love the pot and love the design. In my opinion I think Ryan nailed it with the design. Its more dynamic and dramatic, but these things are a matter of personal taste. Currently its super cool.

Top Bottom