RMJ Yamadori bare root

Reaction score
After considerable research I recently collected some RMJ yamadori. They are relatively young and uninteresting trees at this point because I wanted to make sure that the first time I try yamadori, they are more likely to survive, or at very least that I didn't kill a particularly special tree. However;
- Everything I read indicates that they need their root ball as in tact as possible
- I got the vast majority of the roots out.
- Where I took them from is very sandy.
- They essentially bare rooted themselves upon removal, due to the sandy soil.
- a lot of care was taken to avoid this.

What are the implications? Can they be rehabilitated? Is it really that bad for them to be transplanted with bare roots?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No soil is better than clay.

Welcome to Bla... Crazy!

Should be fine.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Just pot up and care as normal for collected trees.
I intentionally remove as much field soil from collected trees as I can without undue damage to roots because garden/filed soil in pots is a recipe for problems. Most of my trees manage to survive despite doing so.
You also have youth on your side. Younger trees are more resilient than older ones.

The bigger problem I find with sandy soils is that roots are usually long and/or deep so it is difficult to get enough fine roots. Fingers crossed that yours survive the transplant.

Reaction score
There weren't many short roots to begin with. I took the entire rock pocket worth of soil and roots with me. anything I can do to stimulate feeder roots close to the trunk?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After considerable research I recently collected some RMJ yamadori. They are relatively young and uninteresting trees at this point because I wanted to make sure that the first time I try yamadori, they are more likely to survive, or at very least that I didn't kill a particularly special tree. However;
- Everything I read indicates that they need their root ball as in tact as possible
- I got the vast majority of the roots out.
- Where I took them from is very sandy.
- They essentially bare rooted themselves upon removal, due to the sandy soil.
- a lot of care was taken to avoid this.

What are the implications? Can they be rehabilitated? Is it really that bad for them to be transplanted with bare roots?
If these are saplings without much root mass, they should do OK. Just put them in bonsai soil.

Top Bottom