RMJ

Justis

Yamadori
Reaction score
Here is a rocky I just put a deposit on at natures way in Harrisburg pa. It was collected last year by Randy knight. I can not wait to get it into a decent pot next year.

Attachments

• 52D6389E-D123-46EC-BA8B-0AEED1109455.jpeg
    52D6389E-D123-46EC-BA8B-0AEED1109455.jpeg
    583.8 KB · Views: 71
  • EE2F45A5-4648-4129-860C-DD86DBB702A4.jpeg
    EE2F45A5-4648-4129-860C-DD86DBB702A4.jpeg
    569.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 800E2814-B683-40FE-823A-C61E81D5C148.jpeg
    800E2814-B683-40FE-823A-C61E81D5C148.jpeg
    618.9 KB · Views: 63

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's pretty slick ......

But I bet you CAN wait!

I hope you do! That's too nice to rush!

Please.....

If I were to ask why you want to put it in a decent pot next year, I would assume the answer would be "so it looks better".

I would agree.

However....if I myself had a tree like that, that required a "deposit" I would be thinking these things....

If you could put it in a Bonsai pot safely next year without that wood support, I'd say go for it.....but there's a few things already proving beyond "safely" that you shouldn't pot it yet.

It is known that Randy puts trees directly on the bottom of pots, and soils them in.
(@Walter Pall does he wire them down too?)
I assume this is so they don't have to be wired in, and I guess with such big trees, even wire would pull against plastic tubs or flats...

Anyway...it is worth investigating wether or not that support wood could be removed if in a pot....
IF some other unsightly method will still need to be used in a pot, since your final wouldn't be 100% show ready....
For me says .....wait.

Then that leads me to get to thinking about the final display position.

The position as is works well for me...
Since the DW frames the right, and though breaking the rules, running parralel with pot rim, the canopy could hang over the edge of a wide pot just so that the DW, CANOPY, and Accent plant frame-in very well.
With this recently viewed Lang in mind.

Capture+_2018-04-02-04-33-13.png
Your accent a bit further left.
That's a Solid 3 points of interest circle for me. DW/Canopy/Accent....but most importantly, the long "rule broken" lengths of parallel lines work because it is a beautiful highway between the points of interest.
A solid display for a "furthest right" at a show? Seems.

IMO!

Or a cascade?

In either potting scenario, it seems you may have to come up with some inventive way to get this tree and roots secured into the pot to a 100% pretty end.

So I'm looking at what heavy roots you may have on the right side to safely and securely throw a big wire over to hold firm ANY angle...slammed against that side, we know there are none....

So I get to thinking about ways to solidly secure it...Capture+_2018-04-02-04-42-52.png
But in order to drill these into strategic places you need to have the roots exposed for a while...and you'll be shaking around a awesome specimen with only 2 years recovery under its green...

And I get to thinking wait again....

It just seems too early!

Every season you allow roots to grow and study this excellent piece of material, is another year you are moving forward exponentially, in both Horticulture and design.

So you understand my excitement, and to add validity with anti-dickish sentiment....
(Shithead subduer, SPF grow a pair American anti-thin skin cream, for those who need it...)

I've been working on an imaginary piece of material like this from my local RK outlet for the Last 3 years. Getting to understand the intricacies. Preparing.

Lolol! Side rant !

Proof that it works and a trip on the throwback train for @JudyB @Mellow Mullet @GrimLore @Anthony .....

Yesterday, John had me looking for him on old BSG chats, about Azalea, to see how many and when I killed em.

Didn't find that but....coincidence?Capture+_2018-04-02-05-10-28.png

Do you see how I described my area as a potters kiln? In 2013...
It is not chance that Grimmy said my first pots were "whatever he said in compliment" for a first go.
It is only because I have been STUDYING the art for 5 years or more, prior to allowing myself to touch clay. Discipline. Zen.

I am not full of myself, I am full of everything around me.

This is an answer, more true, for Grimmy's question, "where do you find the time" too...

Time and no time.

Mind Over Matter.

Our brain controls our muscles, muscle memory is real, so with enough previous thought, one can achieve a memory of muscles without ever performing a task.

Large picture proof.
I am able to wire well without Boon instructing me take off wire, not because I am better, but because I watched as many videos of it as I could.
Enter Adair and Notes...better.
Enter Colin Lewis Video....better.
Enter Determination to destroy my enemy..
Good Ole Sawgrass! Honored properly even after met with constant dishonor......
Even better.

Small Picture proof...last year Ryan Neil put "pressure on the last 2 turns" into the memory bank, that has me able to wire anything near perfect....instant memory to muscles.

I am definitely confident enough to perform, knowing I will always be a student.

A student who spends all his idle time preparing thoughts for future actions.

Since I am not Happy, or Sad, just aware....

I don't need things like music to keep me happy, so while I enjoy music, I don't need it, without these distractions, pne can make much better use of idle time.

Full circle for a good read....(if you made it this far!)...

Success and No Success.

The truth that brings my confidence to this level of ...."instruction"..?

This year is the first year I KNOW I have a capability to keep trees alive. (No success, my wire bit in! Noob Shoes! "Go get your Fucking shinebox")

So all this "Bullshit" I been talking and all the "Bullshit" been talked about me is about to stop with some Rock Solid Evidence....

Just so you believe some of the Bullshit I been calling out with "no proof" is actually Bullshit!

Speaking of BS! @Clicio "stop reading BS and get your hands dirty".

True and Not True.

If I didn't KEEP reading all the BS I wouldn't have found Vance (via a thread that has nothing much to do with Bonsai) and would have never found success in Summer Repotting, since I may have continued killing trees getting my hands dirty in spring!

There is always more!

There is always less!

Stress.......and No Stress!

Sorce

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is a rocky I just put a deposit on at natures way in Harrisburg pa. It was collected last year by Randy knight. I can not wait to get it into a decent pot next year.

Jim is a great dude, I have been meaning to visit his nursery again. Awesome tree!!!

Justis

Yamadori
Reaction score
I actually will probably wIt a couple - few years to touch it. I was excited when I wrot the post. The tree is actually shaped like a u. The part in that is in ground horizontal is just as long as the upper part of trunk an I believe the roots are mainly to the far left of second picture. So really not even sure what I’m going to do yet. It is a awesome tree an cant wait to just have it on my bench as it to let grow out for a good while. Thanks for the great input.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's pretty slick ......

It is known that Randy puts trees directly on the bottom of pots, and soils them in.
(@Walter Pall does he wire them down too?)
I assume this is so they don't have to be wired in, and I guess with such big trees, even wire would pull against plastic tubs or flats...

A

Sorce

Randy wires ALL trees into containers. But they often are in an awkward position. It seems that firm wiring is more important than artistically good position in pot. We have to change position of most trees after a couple of years. But this is OK. First comes the health of trees. When transporting recently colleted trees the new fine roots are offen ripped off when the tree is not positioned stable.

Justis

Yamadori
Reaction score
I’m thinkinking that the piece of wood was for the journey from Oregon to Harrisburg one side of country to other. I’m not positive though.there are some unbelievable trees that came this year I know that.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m thinkinking that the piece of wood was for the journey from Oregon to Harrisburg one side of country to other. I’m not positive though.there are some unbelievable trees that came this year I know that.

Hell Yeah! Twice as Impressive as last year!

I Love that you're thinking about the wood!

And I can't wait to witness your success, just as @chicago1980 s so I may steal every tidbit of your tale to ensure mine's survival when I make a deposit!

Please keep us Updated.

This is the direction we ARE moving in.

Good Lead!

Sorce

Justis

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate it an I will keep you all updated.

Justis

Yamadori
Reaction score
Source what area are you from? Any we’re close to pa

Top Bottom