Road Trip - Philly to Utah

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm driving my son to Utah for a summer internship next week. Looking to do it in 3 days, so I won't have a lot of free time, maybe 2-3 hours each day.
Does anyone have some must see's when traveling West on I-80?
Bonsai stops would be nice, but I will be flying back, so purchases would be difficult.
Thanks.
CW

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm driving my son to Utah for a summer internship next week. Looking to do it in 3 days, so I won't have a lot of free time, maybe 2-3 hours each day.
Bonsai stops would be nice, but I will be flying back, so purchases would be difficult.
Thanks.
CW

Buy and ship if you find something you like !

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not exactly bonsai, but there is little that recharges my batteries more than some of the places you'll be driving near. If you stay south on 70 and take 15 to Salt Lake you'll go through some of the most beautiful country on the planet between Denver and SLC. You'll be within spitting distance of the Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado National Monument, Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Capitol Reef National Park, and too many national forests of list. If it were me, I'd at least take a couple of days detour to Moab and visit Arches and Canyonlands.

If you stay north on 80, do consider a detour to the Jackson to visit the Tetons or at least up to Pinedale to visit the Wind River Range. Fantastically beautiful and I love both of those places, but if it were me I'd take 70. You might start finding excuses to drive out to visit your son a couple of times during his internship.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As a drive thru, 70 is better from the road. If you have time to get into the ranges, then Pinedale!!!

Although drive thru tetons is grand scenery from the road actually...

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have yet to visit "out west", prepare to have your mind blown! Lived in Colorado for a few years after graduating and it took awhile to wrap my head around "wide-open spaces"!!!!:cool:

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks.
CW

If you know the route you're taking let me know. I know a few places around here that are fun :).

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It will take more than three days if you drive straight through and 70 mph. You can always cruise back a trip I really suggest you take. It is amazing how the influence of these places can make you think of your bonsai differently.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I went to my internship om my bicycle :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you enjoy architecture, Missouri Botanic Gardens is worth a short stop, the Domes Greenhouses there were designed by R Buckminster Fuller. 'Bucky' is out of style a bit, but they are cool. Contact David Kreutz, he is in St. Louis, if you are into azaleas. But he is by appointment only so call ahead. Satsuki-en is his website page. If you are into Orchids, Windy Hill Orchids is just west of St. Louis in Labadie, Marilyn will be happy to ship home any orchids you buy. @Stickroot has his nursery about 60 miles west of St. Louis, PM him on BNut if you want a bonsai stop.

Every random State Park along the way, is worth a stop and look see. many hidden gems, whos names I no longer recall. Kansas City BBQ is mandatory for a meal stop.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are going to take 70 let me know.
Also if you come down 55 in Illinois there is Cass bonsai gardens.

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yep, thats what im doing.

Capital Reef, Canyonlands, and Moab/Arches are really close to I-70. If you're going up to the Salt Lake area Big and Little Cottonwood canyons are really accessible and free. Tons of hiking from really easy/short to not easy at all/long. If you're going down to the St. George area go to Zions. The Narrows is really easy/not technical and you can do it quickly without needing outdoor gear. It will give you some good basic exposure to what Zions has to offer. Snow Canyon in St. George is drivable with some really easy hikes as well. There's tons more depending on where you're going in Utah. But unfortunately no real bonsai destinations. Enjoy the drive!

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks everyone for your input. That I did not take most of the advice is not a reflection on any of you, just my schedule.
The trip was a grueling 3 day drive of about 12 hours a day. I really didn't have time to stop anyplace much off of my I-70 path.
I did get to see the famous @Stickroot tree farm. He has a wonderland of possibly bonsai there. He presented me with a nice little Shantung Maple and a cool little pot as a parting gift.
I tried stopping at a famous Kansas City BBQ, but the line was a couple hours long. Ended up BB's Lawnside BBQ, a live music, BBQ/New Orleans style joint.
Loved the high prairie outside of Denver, and the stunning views of the Rockies past Denver into Utah, but it was a tiring, winding, attention required drive.
Got my son settled in the Salt Lake area and spent a couple hours on Antelope Island which was very nice.
Shipped Stickroot's tree home, hopped on a plane, got diverted, reverted, and home 12 hours later.
Whew.
CW

Top Bottom