Roadside Bonsai Van Guy Buy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LMAO, tell me how you really feel :p Curious if you have every seen this one by David VanBuskirk from MSB in Ocala Fl? -

View attachment 194494

Grimmy
Yeah. A decent serissa--shit happens-even if you overlook the top heavy canopy and cramped pot :) Compared to run of the mill maple, elm, azalea, etc. this is kind of unimpressive

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm kidding dude.;) Seems like some people just don't know what to think of me.

At some point in their bonsai career, EVERYONE wastes money on a serissa. FWIW, I have stopped at those roadside trucks in a few states, from Va. to Texas. The attraction is to see WTF they have and how much they're asking. The temptation to buy stuff wears off after a decade or two.
Oh, I know you're just messing around, it made me laugh!
Because the truth is, a part of me agrees with you.
But hey, we all gotta get there somehow, right?..??
So far I'm happy!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah. A decent serissa--shit happens-even if you overlook the top heavy canopy and cramped pot :)

k... I did not say that was the best but it is damn nice :p

Seems to me you are a little rowdy -

o-lawd-jesus-a-shit-pot-stirrer.jpg

Or have never been to the Nationals where they show, let us say, the best - yes they get accepted there :)

Grimmy

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
If it isn't a Serissa, then it may be a New Zealand Tea Tree.

Definitely not a NZ Teatree (aka Manuka, Leptospermum Scoparium).
Leaves on the NZT are tiny and elongated, not like this one.
But....
Doesn't look like Serissa either.

UPDATE: I see it is a Serissa after all. With strange leaves...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
k... I did not say that was the best but it is damn nice :p

Seems to me you are a little rowdy -

View attachment 194512

Or have never been to the Nationals where they show, let us say, the best - yes they get accepted there :)

Grimmy
This is A nice serissa. Show me others. The fact that is it a nice serissa that -- compared to other bonsai--is just OK, could mean it is an exception--and possibly why it got into the Nationals. And FWIW, I'm no stranger to good bonsai. There are no serissa in the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum...Just sayin.... Of course I could just be a dimwitted bumpkin.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is A nice serissa. Show me others. The fact that is it a nice serissa that -- compared to other bonsai--is just OK, could mean it is an exception--and possibly why it got into the Nationals. And FWIW, I'm no stranger to good bonsai. There are no serissa in the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum...Just sayin.... Of course I could just be a dimwitted bumpkin.

Nah, by no means are you dimwitted, I just pointed out that one is very good and honest doubt it made the Nationals, others have though and the refinement is exceptional, well of course they made the Nationals :)

All good Ol' Timer - we just have different perspectives as does everyone else :)

Good growing -

Grimmy

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Many would disagree, hardly a waste, or do you mean spending money is a waste because they are so easily propagated?

Grimmy

You must keep in mind, Grimmy, this is a guy who posts in every bald cypress thread, but never posts pictures of his bald cypress, just a bunch of googled links to useless info trying to justify that everyone is doing it wrong, yet never offering to show what he has done the "right way".

Now it is serissa, I am surprised that we didn't get 50+ googled links saying why serissa are poor bonsai.

Last edited:

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Seriously? :) Two weeks away from the PBA show and sale at the Arb and you shell out $25 for THAT? Now you will probably be $25 short when trying to get something decent there...;)

Best serissa advice--don't buy a serissa. Nothing good can come from it. I've never seen one worth $25 or above...

Yeah, PM me, I'll send you one, or cuttings

Top Bottom