roadside mulberries

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Went out this morning and dug 4 mulberries that I had tagged earlier this year. Roadside......as in ... I had to dig out long roots from under the asphalt. The first pic is the way they came out of the ground. The second pic is potted up with not a branch cut back. This is why I like roadside trees .......they come pre-chopped and sprouted out.

A couple have reverse taper issues, but that really doesn't matter to me. I like the wild and wooly character of a slightly off-beat tree.

unnamed (78).jpgunnamed (79).jpg

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
totally diggin the guy in the glazed pot. I have dug a few of these but the roots have always been so disheartening it caused me to bail out. *They're invasive so I feel no guilt (morus alba). If I ever found trunks like those I'd give it a shot though

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The roots are an obstacle. They tend to be long and searching with not many small feeder roots close to the trunk. They respond really well when potted though. I've dug a half dozen and when they bud out , it's off to the races.

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The roots are an obstacle. They tend to be long and searching with not many small feeder roots close to the trunk. They respond really well when potted though. I've dug a half dozen and when they bud out , it's off to the races.
Two things about mulberries- (1) they are damn near indestructible and (2) they will draw ever pest into the garden you can conceive.

I predict they will be fine.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Two things about mulberries- (1) they are damn near indestructible and (2) they will draw ever pest into the garden you can conceive.

I predict they will be fine.

The only pest or disease problem I've had is what I refer to as black spot on the leaves. It makes them look kind of sad towards the end of summer.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've been using Bayer sparingly on only the trees that are susceptible. What I've found is the most effective for insects is to blast the devil out of the foliage almost every day. It does a pretty good job keeping aphids at bay. Aphids love my hawthorns.

Top Bottom