Robert Stevens shears from Stone Lantern

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Had a friend show me some Robert Stevens pruners he bought from Greenwood bonsai, so I decided I would break down and get a pair, however my pair are different than his, mine have a lot more wear than his do and his are a year old and have been through the ringer. I contacted stone lantern and they told me the following:

"We have complained to him about the quality issue several times since we began receiving shipments of shears that have various scratches, nicks and burrs. There are none left in our inventory that don't have some sort of flaw. Your friends that have older ones are lucky as they used to come in better shape.

As for the points crossing - that is intentional for bonsai shears in order to complete a clean cut.

Because we've had no resolution on the quality issues we offer you a choice of keeping them if we send a $40 Gift Card or return them for a full refund.

Unless we are shipped shears that are flawless we will not be able to send you one."

IMG_20230502_152035.jpg
IMG_20230502_152105.jpgIMG_20230502_181305.jpg

I am kind of disappointed by this as all the shears I have purchased don't cross at the end like these do nor do my friends with the same shears he purchased from Greenwood Bonsai. Am I being unreasonable when I drop $120 on some shears that I expect the quality to be there?

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Idk, do they cut good? I wouldn't worry about the tips. If they cut as well as a $120 pair of shears do, I'd be happy with them. YMMV.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is the issue with the shears or stone lantern?

In regards to the shears, it’s my experience that the tips should cross the way they do in the picture. That is typical. The scratches and other marks seems like another issue of quality.

In regards to stone lantern. I actually quite like the reply and frankness. It sounds like you have an out on these shears and they are happy to manage that for you.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're not happy, return them. Stuff like that would bug me.

FWIW, I have Japanese shears that cross at the ends, as well as shears that don't. It's a design thing, doesn't necessarily convey quality.

It sounds like Robert Steven's issue. I'd contact him as the maker. He used to be here many years ago when he was trying to track down some one who he claimed had ripped him off. Don't know if he's still a member. He is on Facebook, however,

Also As said, good for Dallas Bonsai for explaining. It sounds as though they're as frustrated as you are with the shears.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Had a friend show me some Robert Stevens pruners he bought from Greenwood bonsai, so I decided I would break down and get a pair, however my pair are different than his, mine have a lot more wear than his do and his are a year old and have been through the ringer. I contacted stone lantern and they told me the following:

"We have complained to him about the quality issue several times since we began receiving shipments of shears that have various scratches, nicks and burrs. There are none left in our inventory that don't have some sort of flaw. Your friends that have older ones are lucky as they used to come in better shape.

As for the points crossing - that is intentional for bonsai shears in order to complete a clean cut.

Because we've had no resolution on the quality issues we offer you a choice of keeping them if we send a $40 Gift Card or return them for a full refund.

Unless we are shipped shears that are flawless we will not be able to send you one."

View attachment 486022
View attachment 486023View attachment 486024

I am kind of disappointed by this as all the shears I have purchased don't cross at the end like these do nor do my friends with the same shears he purchased from Greenwood Bonsai. Am I being unreasonable when I drop $120 on some shears that I expect the quality to be there?
What other shears do you have? I have Kaneshin and Joshua Roth and they all cross the same way. I also seen Masakuni in person and they cross.

With that said, I would return them in a heartbeat... $120 for shears that are made by Ryuga in China because they were design to be ergonomically by Robert Stevens? No thanks.

You could get two pairs of shears from a reputable Japanese brand for that money. Heck you could probably get a pair of Masakuni for that money. Or get a pair of Wazakura from the link Bnut provided and help the community.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’d return them If you don’t like them. Kaneshin is dollar-for-dollar better than anything out there. FWIW, I like Wayne S and Stone Lantern, but I have had a similar experience where the photos shown didn’t match the quality of the tools received. Wayne was kind enough to refund and not make a big deal about it.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
All of my Kaneshin shears have a slight cross at the tip as designed. I have less expensive Yoshizaki (I use for root work) that do the same.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What other shears do you have? I have Kaneshin and Joshua Roth and they all cross the same way. I also seen Masakuni in person and they cross.

With that said, I would return them in a heartbeat... $120 for shears that are made by Ryuga in China because they were design to be ergonomically by Robert Stevens? No thanks.

You could get two pairs of shears from a reputable Japanese brand for that money. Heck you could probably get a pair of Masakuni for that money. Or get a pair of Wazakura from the link Bnut provided and help the community.
Ive used Joshua Roth, Kaneshin and Masakuni, none of those shears fit my hand like the Robert Stevens shears , I am left handed and have really big man hands, I have a pair of Wazakuras that i got in a club auction but they were very used. These are th first pair of shears I have seen with tips crossed.

I appreciate the feedback. How often do you guys go through shears?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a pair of Wazakuras that i got in a club auction but they were very used.
Which one do you have? Have you thought about giving the traditional Wazakura a try? Bonsai shears are very easy to sharpen, and if they feel loose all you have to do is slightly tap the rivet with a hammer until you get them back to their original state.
These are th first pair of shears I have seen with tips crossed.
If you look at the Kaneshin website you will notice that all their shears have crossed tips, they even explain why.
1683288307269.png 1683288393296.png

I appreciate the feedback. How often do you guys go through shears?
In my case, I sharpen mine when they are getting slightly dull. The only reason I see for getting a new pair would be if they break. One of the tips on my first pair of Joshua Roth broke within a month of ownership, a mistake by my part when storing them so I didn't claim any warranty... I downgraded them for root work and some branch cutting.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Ruyga bonsai tools are made by the Chinese company Tian Bonsai.
On this website (tab: headline news) you can see some pictures of the production.
On the shirts the workers are wearing you can clearly see the text Tian Bonsai and their logo.

IMG_20220818_131614_resized_20220819_081850422.jpg

Another note:
If I look at the website of Tian Bonsai it seems that they don't sell the black steel tools anymore, you can only order stainless steel tools.
Link: https://www.tianbonsai.com/

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have Tian Wire Cutters and fit and finish is outstanding. While not stainless steel (300 series), the CrMoV material is similar in color and rust resistant, but easier to sharpen than true stainless. Rockwell hardness of 304 is around 70, while this material is ~54. So not as brittle as white or blue steel.

Bonsai Forest

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

View attachment 486022
View attachment 486023View attachment 486024

That is disappointing. I’m sorry that happened to you. I would send them back and expect full refund. It’s not asking much at all when you drop $120 (!!!!!!!!!!!!) and you get that.

I know it’s not the same, but I’ve returned trauma shears and other tools used in the field and demanded refunds. Whether working on trees or trauma patients, the tools in the kit should be quality to get the job done.

After several weeks of researching and poring over demonstrations and hearing/seeing people talk about their Japanese tools while they’re working, Wazakura seems to be among the highest quality and extremely reasonably priced. I’m sure there are countless brands out there, but I wouldn’t settle.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Glad to know to avoid these. I was interested in them after watching Corrin using them. The really satisfying thunk they make when making a cut is great. I didn't buy them before because I couldn't figure out what the little tab at the back is for.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So after some emails with stone lantern and Robert Stevens, Robert explained to me the tips are supposed to be like that, Stone Lantern made it right with a $40 dollar gift card. After using the shears this year they are hands down the most comfortable shears I have ever used for my larger than normal hands. Not just that but they keep an edge after pruning 75 trees. I would definitely spend $120 again on these shears and am thinking of getting a backup pair.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not sure I understand the issue. The beak is exactly as it is supposed to be. The litte cross-over ensure a full cut AND allows the sharpening of the tool for its lifetime.

The they have scratches is annoying but well...

John7429

Sapling
Reaction score
So after some emails with stone lantern and Robert Stevens, Robert explained to me the tips are supposed to be like that, Stone Lantern made it right with a $40 dollar gift card. After using the shears this year they are hands down the most comfortable shears I have ever used for my larger than normal hands. Not just that but they keep an edge after pruning 75 trees. I would definitely spend $120 again on these shears and am thinking of getting a backup pair.
Just FYI, you can get the same shears through any retailer that sell Ryuga, not just Stone Lantern. Support your local shops! If you can't find one, PM me.
I would not accept the flaws as a new product, even with a $40 store credit. That's not acceptable and should have been all returned to the supplier if they admitted to QC issues. If they didn't, I'm sure it's only because he got a hefty, or full, refund from RS.
I'm assuming you got the bamboo case and authenticity card when you first received the product?

John7429

Sapling
Reaction score
Glad to know to avoid these. I was interested in them after watching Corrin using them. The really satisfying thunk they make when making a cut is great. I didn't buy them before because I couldn't figure out what the little tab at the back is for.
Corin is dropping the Ryuga line soon for other reasons...
If you ever want to see a pair of these in person, let your local store know to request a pair from JRL or find me at a show/event.
The tab is just for the design of the hinge and stopper to work.
Honestly, they do feel really nice in your hand(s). And, we've had a lot of lefties feel them out and comment that they feel better than typical shears.

John7429

Sapling
Reaction score
Which flaws?
Last photo and this comment/quote from Stone Lantern provided in the OP:

"We have complained to him about the quality issue several times since we began receiving shipments of shears that have various scratches, nicks and burrs. There are none left in our inventory that don't have some sort of flaw. Your friends that have older ones are lucky as they used to come in better shape."

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I watched a `documentary about a 17th-generation craftsman who had spent his whole life making scissor, and learned the importance of the “set” of the blades [which should indeed cross at the tip.] I then found out that Wazakura is forging the handle by machine, but using craftsmen to set the blades. I bought the smaller satsuki shears on Amazon and was simply astonished at the quality and utility. In the box they included a coupon for 20% off my first order from the company directly, so then I bought the larger ‘twig’ scissors. Same quality and they cut like a dream. They use Yasugi steel—the same used for katana—made by adding powdered iron into the steel as it is forged. They say that this combination means that the scissors arrive incredibly sharp, and hold a sharp edge for a very long time. They are unbelievably priced at just under $40, and having used them, I would buy them at five times that price.

Top Bottom