Rock Juniper new growth on one branch only

Mr. Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
A Rock Juniper has been sprouting new, regular growth on one of it's branches and not on any of the other branches.

Any suggestions as to why a Rock Juniper Bonsai would only sprout new growth on one branch only and not the others?

Thanks in advance to all those that have posted to this thread.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Can't think of anything obvious right off but @Deep Sea Diver is right that photos can often show things you haven't noticed or forgot to mention that might just jog a memory.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It doesn't like the rock.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Has this juniper been reported this year? And if so did you remove a lot of soil and/or roots?

Hard to speculate. Pics might help.

Mr. Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Well after researching, etc.....it was determined that probably one of the reasons why this was happening was because of the Juniper's location in relation to Sun exposure.

You see the Rock Juniper is currently located right outside our back yard patio. The front of our house face's East and the back face's West. The only time it was getting Sun exposure was late in the afternoon.

Though with that being said, the entire Rock Juniper was getting Sun but the main branch that is showing significant new growth is the branch that is/was facing West, towards the Sun (if any of that makes sense).

Also the Rock Juniper gets water'ed daily as well.

So what I've done, for the time being, is move the Rock Juniper to allow it to get plenty of Sunshine from mid-morning till the end of the day.

Another possible reason could also be that the Rock Juniper has not had any food nutrients in the passed months (9-10 months) so that could also be a factor.

So I'll give it some as well and now only time will tell to see exactly what happens.

I'll report back with results...whether positive or negative.

Again, thank you all for your post and suggestions.

Top Bottom