Rock Planting

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
So this started with a "rapid unscheduled repotting" while moving my tropicals; I dropped a nothing little ficus in what had been a great Sara Raynor pot 😔

PXL_20210425_193906212.jpg

BUT, lemonade from lemons, I have a handful of lace rocks I bought at an aquarium store a couple of years back for rock plantings but never got around to using, so this was as good a time as any to give it a shot. Here is what I came up with:

PXL_20210425_193337746.jpg

The rock has a nice cavity at the top that I was able to fill with soil (with some mesh and muck for support) and it even has a hole through to the other side which gave me something to thread wire through. It's held together quite well and I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

PXL_20210425_193430958.jpg

PXL_20210425_193420137.jpg

Whole thing is just 12 inches tall. Once the tree is established it will need a hard cutback and real styling, but for now I just lightly wired it and removed some branches that couldn't be used.

As is evident in the photo, I haven't filled the pot with soil yet. This is an area I'm less pleased with. Getting the rock to actually sit firmly in the pot at this angle was a real challenge: it's extremely top-heavy and off-balance. I am still considering whether there are better solutions than my handiwork (such as it is):

PXL_20210425_193408673.jpg

PXL_20210425_193402605.jpg

As an alternative to this kludge, I am considering making a concrete shoe for the bottom of the rock, or just epoxying the rock to the pot permanently. Anyone tried these or other ideas with good success?

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't think this composition works all that well aesthetically. The top-heavy rock, planted at a steep angle, with the tree dangling precariously from underneath gives an impression of extreme instability that is the polar opposite of the sort of tranquil scene of an ancient tree that has stood here on this mountain doing battle with the elements for centuries that one generally expects when viewing bonsai. It looks like the tree and the mountain it's on are overdue to come crashing down into the valley below. It evokes thoughts like: How would a seed ever manage to get to that spot underneath the rock in the first place and, if by some miracle it did, how likely is it to have stayed there instead of being washed away with the first heavy rains to come after its arrival? Why did the tree grow downward? How did it get enough sunlight to grow when it's perpetually in the shadow of the mountain?

This is just my opinion and you don't have to agree with me. If this is what you truly want, hey, go for it. You do you. Just offering an outside perspective that I think it's worth considering other placement options for your next repotting. Hope this is helpful.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't think this composition works all that well aesthetically. The top-heavy rock, planted at a steep angle, with the tree dangling precariously from underneath gives an impression of extreme instability that is the polar opposite of the sort of tranquil scene of an ancient tree that has stood here on this mountain doing battle with the elements for centuries that one generally expects when viewing bonsai. It looks like the tree and the mountain it's on are overdue to come crashing down into the valley below. It evokes thoughts like: How would a seed ever manage to get to that spot underneath the rock in the first place and, if by some miracle it did, how likely is it to have stayed there instead of being washed away with the first heavy rains to come after its arrival? Why did the tree grow downward? How did it get enough sunlight to grow when it's perpetually in the shadow of the mountain?

This is just my opinion and you don't have to agree with me. If this is what you truly want, hey, go for it. You do you. Just offering an outside perspective that I think it's worth considering other placement options for your next repotting. Hope this is helpful.

I agree with this assessment. The whole thing makes me feel like its about to fall over.

Reactions: Meh

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
It looks phallic to me but is otherwise pretty interesting and unique. Plus your avatar picture made me laugh hard so two flacid thumbs upward from me 👍👍

Meh

Mame
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe it will look better anchored when the pot is full and mossed up, but I understand your points.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
A soft pad between the pot and the rock is essential. Otherwise the pot will break when you set it down after moving it around.

For reason @Lorax7 outlined, I would just tilt the rock so the surface the tree is on is vertical or a little past vertical. They eye looks for logic. I've seen plants, ferns and even trees clinging to vertical cliffs, but not undersides. Tilted the image will work better.

If you make a concrete plug for a base, make it separate from the pot. Then put a foam pad under it when you put it in the pot. Then wire the plug down. Then fill in soil and plant your moss.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
A soft pad between the pot and the rock is essential. Otherwise the pot will break when you set it down after moving it around.

For reason @Lorax7 outlined, I would just tilt the rock so the surface the tree is on is vertical or a little past vertical. They eye looks for logic. I've seen plants, ferns and even trees clinging to vertical cliffs, but not undersides. Tilted the image will work better.

If you make a concrete plug for a base, make it separate from the pot. Then put a foam pad under it when you put it in the pot. Then wire the plug down. Then fill in soil and plant your moss.
Thanks, it may be hard to see but there is drainage mesh between the rock and pot.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I agree with the sentiments above. And just from a practical standpoint, how do you water something that is past vertical? It can be done but not with ease or without making a mess.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the constructive feedback. I plan on redoing the rock orientation sometime week. Will post an update.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
The rules of good storytelling dictate that this is how this thread must end.

PXL_20210427_011501439.jpg

Thanks for reading?

Top Bottom