Rock slabs

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have been so impressed with the rock plantings that @Walter Pall has been showing us that I really wanted ot give it a try. So I have been keeping my eyes peeled for any rocks along the side of the road that may have tumbled down. A couple weeks ago I went fishing in an undisclosed location and stumbled across a rock slide that deposited some rocks in the ditch so I pulled over and loaded a few into my truck. I am not sure about the actual rock type. It tends to flake off like a sedimentary but I think it is metamorphic that just has some prominent fracture lines. At any rate these guys were petty thick and heavy so I went at them with a steel chisel and 5 lb hammer. I managed to take quite a bit off the bottom of the first one and got it so it will almost sit flat without a stone under it. The really nice thing about it is the natural depession in it to take the roots and some soil. I still need to order a diamond bit to drill a few holes for tie down wires.

Here are a couple photos with a 1 gal pot in the background for reference.
22F7A797-E04C-4E0C-B6D3-81039308962D.jpegA3ACF964-9135-46E4-BEB2-CB7374879BF8.jpeg

The second one is a bit larger and I have already knocked about half of it off. My back still hurts fom lifting it into the truck. It doesn’t have a nice depression like the first one but I have been chhipping away at the surface to create one.
D474D5AF-06EE-42F1-A5B3-60E476233B5F.jpegEE6BC9E2-5A11-4A2A-BD36-D705FFD583FF.jpeg

I think that I’ll eventually get both of them chipped down to where I can actually lift them onto a display stand with a tree and some soil. If not I figure I can rent a couple yard boys for an hour or two and get them to do the heavy work.

J P

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Instead of trying to drill it you could use epoxy to secure the tire wires down. I have used a two part clear epoxy and have wires that are still holding after almost 20 years. You take a chance of the rock splitting even using a diamond bit. When you secure your trees on the rock make sure you leave some channels through the muck/soil for drainage.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am not planning on trying to drill all the way through just a shallow hole with a little undercut into which I can place the wire and then use either epoxy or portland cement grout to anchor it. I am deeply suspicious of trusting epoxy or cement on a flat smooth surface like this rock even though yours has held for 20 years. Murphy just loves situations like that!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thick super glue and a dash of baking soda is far better than epoxy, IMHO.
I've used this to affect wire tie downs on a porcelain floor tile, so it ought to work well on rock.

vedecx

Yamadori
Reaction score
Some bonsai books suggest using superglue mixed with cement as a way to attach tie down wire to stones.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
I use hydraulic cement for tie downs. You can also use it to make feet for the stone so it sits the way you want it too.

Top Bottom