Rock solid Azalea rootball.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I did the same to a 3 gal encore the first week of May. I thought it was a large one, but noticed they were two when I started cleaning out the soil. I took a look at them last night and they look good, so you should be safe as long as there were some good roots close to the trunk.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Azaleas ain’t no Shrinking Violets!

cheers
DSD sends

She has me babying her, it’s been getting cold at night and because I believe she has enough stress already I’ve been including her in the “temperature shuffle” along with my tropicals.

Bug sprayed her yesterday (no sign of insects but just a precaution for anything too tiny to see). I have very hard water and haven’t got much rainwater stored so she’s also been sipping my mineral water. Purchased a plant friendly solution to remove limescale from faucet water so once that turns up I’ll set a few tubs marinating and test it out.

The new baby Azalee on the ”latest purchase page” was also repotted into Kanuma the same day (was potbound in peat with a damp layer of sphagnum on top during its shipping). Not the best time for a repot but I wanted to prevent a similar fate asap. This li’l one is thriving at least 😀

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
She has me babying her, it’s been getting cold at night and because I believe she has enough stress already I’ve been including her in the “temperature shuffle” along with my tropicals.
Wishing you the best on a healthy recovery! It seems to be the hardest thing about doing any extensive work on a tree is waiting … perhaps patiently for those signs that everything’s gonna be aright.

Ryan Neil mentioned a lag of about 14 days after root work before the roots respond with new growth. In our location I’ve been thinking more on the line of 4-6 weeks after extensive rootwork for visible signs of healthiness. For branch work it seems more like 2-4 weeks.

From observations of azalea’s response I think this can happen in a number of ways, pushing multiple leaves at the ends of branches, back budding down a trimmed branch or a progressive back budding up the trunk to the branches. All seem to me to be indicators the wait is over.

Cheers
DSD sends

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wishing you the best on a healthy recovery! It seems to be the hardest thing about doing any extensive work on a tree is waiting … perhaps patiently for those signs that everything’s gonna be aright.

Ryan Neil mentioned a lag of about 14 days after root work before the roots respond with new growth. In our location I’ve been thinking more on the line of 4-6 weeks after extensive rootwork for visible signs of healthiness. For branch work it seems more like 2-4 weeks.

From observations of azalea’s response I think this can happen in a number of ways, pushing multiple leaves at the ends of branches, back budding down a trimmed branch or a progressive back budding up the trunk to the branches. All seem to me to be indicators the wait is over.

Cheers
DSD sends
Oh I don’t expect to see any signs of recovery anytime soon, what I am looking out for is signs things are not going the other way. I expect her to be stalled for a couple of months at least and if that’s the case I’d take it as a more positive sign than a death dive.

Top Bottom