Rock Source

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Hi, as well as bonsai, I'm also 'into' japanese, live planted tanks. These use special soil, open top with hanging high output lights from ceiling (for realistic shadows), CO2 injection (controlled by monitoring pH) and high dose fertilization. Anyway, (recent transplant to Chicago from the Bay Area), there's this one store in SF that sells all the japanese products...spendy but worth it!
They used to sell, I just checked, real rocks from Japan, that were also spendy, but just stunning stones! Luckily, I have a small collection.

But they still sell now, rocks from China for $2.99/lb. They are still really nice rocks, just not as nice as the japanese. They'd make beautiful rock plantings. Here's the website if anyone's interested:
http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_7_14&products_id=274

octoberust

Seedling
Reaction score
I had a fish tank as a child, but WOW!:eek:Those live planted tanks are amazing! Well I know what my next hobby will be if I ever end up with extra space or money to put toward a new hobby. I am sure the tanks are somewhat custom? How small to they get?

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those tanks in the gallery section are simply amazing--saikei, suiseki, and bonsai all in one WITH FISH...:eek:

I heard about the Japanese method of keeping aquariums like this waaaay back when I had reef tanks. The technology has advanced considerably...When I had reef tanks, a CO2 injection system cost double or triple what's listed on that site.

BTW, the rocks are nice, but JEEEZ, you can get the same for less than half at bonsai fairs (of course you have to have one of those events near you)

Last edited:

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Octoberust, I believe they make them as small as 30ish gals. Not custom, but made in Japan by ADA.

Rockm, yes, CO2 is cheap, just a regulator, cost of a 5-10 gal CO2 tank and you can simply titrate to where you see the plants producing oxygen. Though the pH meter is nice, set and forget.

I haven't seen these rocks at bonsai fairs, but that's not saying they can't be found. The rocks make a big difference in the aquascape. Some setups are only plants as this is the main focus. I should look and see if I have any pics of my last setup if interested.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ah rocks,i had some rocks soaking in cleanser on my kitchen windowsill,my elderly neighbour asked if i was waiting for them to grow.

Top Bottom