Rocky Mountain Juniper in Southern California

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
How do Rocky Mountain Junipers do in Southern California? West Los Angeles to be more specific? I have the opportunity to get a real nice one but want to check to make sure it grows well here first.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have no idea for the LA area. I know they are doing well in Georgia, and I've been talking to a guy that seems to be doing well with them in El Paso TX. I don't know how similar El Paso would be to you?

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try asking over at BSG too. Some of them may have experience with RMJ in Southern CA.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks Dan, I'm pretty sure they'd do fine anywhere but figured I'd see if anyone had experience. I'll do a post at BSG as well.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
They do seem to be extremely adaptable. I've had three yamadori here in N. GA for 4 + years and they continue to grow well despite despite the occasional bout with spider mites and cedar apple rust. They love being frozen solid all winter (don't get that here), but apparently don't mind 90 days of 90 F + temps in a summer, either. I've read in Dirr's "Manual" that he has seen them planted in the landscape as far south as Orlando, FL. How well this translates to SoCal, I don't know.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Had one for 6 years and it did fine, then I sold it.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
They do seem to be extremely adaptable. I've had three yamadori here in N. GA for 4 + years and they continue to grow well despite despite the occasional bout with spider mites and cedar apple rust. They love being frozen solid all winter (don't get that here), but apparently don't mind 90 days of 90 F + temps in a summer, either. I've read in Dirr's "Manual" that he has seen them planted in the landscape as far south as Orlando, FL. How well this translates to SoCal, I don't know.

I don't quite understand how some in N. climates are able to keep PPines and RMJs outside yr round...I see it a lot where people just put the trees on the ground under tables, or just left on their stands (Like Walter P) Yet, I've been told many times that I have to provide shelter for them here in Chicago. I find it hard to believe that Chicago is colder than many areas where I see people left trees outside. I know it's prob. a bit more windy here, but boy am I jealous of you all who live in cold climates, yet are able to keep the trees outside. I'm running out of room in my 6'x10' hoop house lol

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I don't quite understand how some in N. climates are able to keep PPines and RMJs outside yr round...I see it a lot where people just put the trees on the ground under tables, or just left on their stands (Like Walter P) Yet, I've been told many times that I have to provide shelter for them here in Chicago. I find it hard to believe that Chicago is colder than many areas where I see people left trees outside. I know it's prob. a bit more windy here, but boy am I jealous of you all who live in cold climates, yet are able to keep the trees outside. I'm running out of room in my 6'x10' hoop house lol

Your RMJs and PPines would do just fine on the ground out of the wind and sun with their pots mulched. They are both hardy down to - 40 F planted in the ground, so protect the roots from extreme cold and you won't have anything to worry about.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Your RMJs and PPines would do just fine on the ground out of the wind and sun with their pots mulched. They are both hardy down to - 40 F planted in the ground, so protect the roots from extreme cold and you won't have anything to worry about.

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the information. I have more than enough room, but I can't protect them from sun and wind. Though I could easily just drive some stakes into the ground and wrap and cover the area with burlap. Though I'm not sure how to keep snow from crushing this area though...maybe make a /\ shaped covering? I'm sure there's some designs online either way. I'll definitely give it a try next yr. on one to make sure it works. It'd be great if this would work, it'd free up quite a bit of room...that, and repotting and cutting that huge mugo back next July lol (I still have a ton of clay in there unfort)

Chris

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm the nut from El Paso. My RMJ went into shock and revertyed to juvinial foilage the first summer I had it. Seems that 40 + days of 100+ temps was just too much. It's still alive and growing. This summer it finally showed signs of adult foilage so I'm hoping that over the next couple of years I can get it back to where it should be. Since you don't normally have 40 + days over 100 you should be OK.
Dwight

Top Bottom