Rocky Mountain Juniper: No guts, no glory...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a good bend to get what you needed there.

How about three years down the road how do you handle the large channel cut in the back of the leader? Just fill it with epoxy or cut paste or does it become a focal point somehow?

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Love the blog, thanks for another interesting entry!
Quick question: is there an ideal time to carve your trees? I would think it's within the first half of the growth season, but just want to see what you have to say about it. thanks :)

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like a good bend to get what you needed there.

How about three years down the road how do you handle the large channel cut in the back of the leader? Just fill it with epoxy or cut paste or does it become a focal point somehow?

certainly no epoxy or cut paste (we never use the stuff) ... the deadwood will be refined and smoothed to become part of the focal point of the tree.... with any luck the live vein will have grown around it some as well in the healing process ...

@Bill S ... the bailing twine we use is plastic ... and as you say comes in a huge roll.... we usually roll out a couple dozen feet at a time and wrap that up and keep it in the tool bag .... the annoying orange color reminds you that you that its there so you don't lose the tree ...

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi ang...So you are planning to leave the wire in the channel and have it grow around it? Like they do with white pine grafted onto black...

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi ang...So you are planning to leave the wire in the channel and have it grow around it? Like they do with white pine grafted onto black...

nah ... the wire will be removed in a few years when the wrap is removed... the growth i was referring to is that its healing should add some interest and keep the live vein from being so straight looking ... it was actually twisted when moved so there is additional movement there .... the tree is strong enough to support itself without the wire... it was added for structural integrity while bending

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sounds good.. and once again, this is very clean and top notch work...The orange doesn't really bother me. However, it may look different when you see it in person in the middle of all your other trees.:D

Rob

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There's not much I can say that has not been said already. Beautiful and courageous work. I can't wait to see this tree in a couple of years.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nah ... the wire will be removed in a few years when the wrap is removed... the growth i was referring to is that its healing should add some interest and keep the live vein from being so straight looking ... it was actually twisted when moved so there is additional movement there .... the tree is strong enough to support itself without the wire... it was added for structural integrity while bending

like re-bar in concrete! amazing stuff

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome job with a difficult tree! Amazing result, and I'm looking forward to seeing it in a year or two.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice looking work, the bailing twine is a great idea for long term stuff like that. I pick it up around farms when I do work on their buildings. I had a piece I used to fasten a ladder as I lost the bungee cord in the pasture, before I knew almost two years had went by and I was still tying the ladder with the bailing cord! Finally I found a good buy on bungee cords at a flea market and replaced it.

Speaking of good buys, the silicone self fusing tape is commonly found in electrical supply stores and auto parts stores, its used for a multitude of stuff including wrapping a radiator hose that has burst, even Lowes and Home Depot carry it sometimes in their electric departments. Its usually no more than $6.00 though, I seen where the Bonsai store wanted $14.00 for it and was sticker shocked. I have never thougth to use it in that way, although I get reprimanded here for using stuff that is not specifically for Bonsai use with gems of wisdom such as this "Also, to save you time, disappoitnment and money. It in necessary to cultivate bonsai properly. This means using bonsai soil, pots that are made for bonsai, wire and tools that are for bonsai. For health reasons regarding bonsai..coming up household alternatives will eventually affect the health of the tree...", Yup, I am still reeling from the aluminum can screen I posted here !! ;)

ed

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm REALLY happy people found this useful... I was hoping it would let people think about their material differently. Thanks for the support....

Al... I know Eric answered you, but one thing he didn't mention is that we've seen what this technique looks like decades down the road... it's almost impossible to tell it was done unless you are looking for it. And while that sounds like a long time to most, I don't think anything of it... without it being done, it would have been a waste of potential. So whatever it looks like between now and my old age is no biggie. I'm not in this for the short game. ;)

I think a serious problem in bonsai with many people is that potential in material gets blown or wasted because of our desire for instant results. My result will take a long time, but the right thing will have been done to it.

V

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome job with a difficult tree! Amazing result, and I'm looking forward to seeing it in a year or two.

Brother... you have trees I am dieing to work on...lol So it'll be a win win the next time we see you... I hope you don't have noise ordinances. Three grinders can make a lot of noise. lol

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And while that sounds like a long time to most, I don't think anything of it... without it being done, it would have been a waste of potential. So whatever it looks like between now and my old age is no biggie. I'm not in this for the short game. ;)
All I have left is the short game......

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Good stuff Vic! I must have missed this thread last month. Very well executed with great results. Should be quite the tree when it's all wired up!

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
this reminds me ..... the tree still seems to be alive and showing no signs of ill health .... not yet ..... even seems to have a little active growth ...

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
this reminds me ..... the tree still seems to be alive and showing no signs of ill health .... not yet ..... even seems to have a little active growth ...

Please keep us updated! I for one am watching this one carefully. I have a tree that I want to try it on.

Top Bottom