Rocky Mountain Juniper semi cascade in progress.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I really like your RMJ, chicago. You've done a nice job styling it and your choice for a semi-cascade was a good one, I think. My only criticism is that much of the deadwood is stalk-straight and is more or less all the same length. Also, much of it seems to pull my eye away from the flow of the tree. I am a big fan of deadwood so I'm not usually one to suggest that someone should remove it. But, I think, in this case, less could be more. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted of it's development.

Cory
RMJ.jpg

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I really like your RMJ, chicago. You've done a nice job styling it and your choice for a semi-cascade was a good one, I think. My only criticism is that much of the deadwood is stalk-straight and is more or less all the same length. Also, much of it seems to pull my eye away from the flow of the tree. I am a big fan of deadwood so I'm not usually one to suggest that someone should remove it. But, I think, in this case, less could be more. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted of it's development.

Cory
View attachment 343240
Over this winter I will start to reduce the deadwood volume and create movement and difference in the heights. I am slow to remove deadwood and I agree that some action needs to be taken to advance the design. I'll state first by making sure the angle and front are the best for the tree and then I'll start to reduce.

Thank you for the feedback

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score

Cory
View attachment 343240
Maybe something like this
cascadebonsaivirtual1.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dead wood looks inspired/Great! Personally volume of dead wood speaks of old Bristlecones and Junipers in nature and should stay🤩.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally might have suggested shorten of bottom Rt jin as was done☺️. Presentation angle question: perhaps rotate tree back CCW so bottom jin under foliage visible again? Valuable asset now hidden from view. Great pot. Made by who?

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Personally might have suggested shorten of bottom Rt jin as was done☺️. Presentation angle question: perhaps rotate tree back CCW so bottom jin under foliage visible again? Valuable asset now hidden from view. Great pot. Made by who?
Definitely the final front is some where in this area and a few degrees in some cw or ccw direction.

Pot is by Sam Miller who also collected this tree.

Top Bottom