Rocky Mountain Juniper

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey all, I got this collected Rocky Mountain Juniper on ebay. I have no knowledge of RMJs, any input would be greatly appreciated.

I decided to take a look at the roots & repot into my own mix of akadama, pumice, cinder & turface. I barely cut any roots off.

rckymjun11.jpg

Here is the tree before repot

rckymjun6.jpg

Here it is after repot. I changed the angle slightly by laying it down more to the right. I'm thinking that I should raise it back up slightly just as it was before repotting? Any thoughts on the angle?

rckymjun.jpg

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi barry, thanks for your input. Yes there are some good stuff on ebay, you just have to hunt:)

These below are actual pics from ebay that got me.

rcky1.jpg

rcky2.jpg

rcky4.jpg

rckys.jpg

rckys2.jpg

rckys3.jpg

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
How do RMJ's do in Hawaii? I would have thought your climate wasn't suitable for them.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Duane, at the rate you've been adding killer trees lately, you might need your own island just to keep em all. Great trunk on this one, and have fun shaping it.

Dave

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Love those yamadori's, should make a nice tree.

keep it green,
Harry

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is very nice material..... I have never bothered with ebay as far as bonsai, but maybe I should take a second look. One thing I don't understand is why the seller let this beautiful piece of material go. Unless the seller was a nursery or business.. I can't see someone with a private collection letting a great piece of material go. If not becasue it was a business..maybe they didn't know what they had or maybe they had too many specimen trees...lol. Man, I wish I had that problem.

Rob

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Rob, you have some of this material don't you?? I was thinking of Nicks book where he says that in our neck of the woods they aren't the greatest because of the combo heat and humidity. He says if I remember correctly something to the effect of water the ground next to the pot, and let it smell the humidity. Thought that you could provide some good feedback on that issue.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hii Bill...unfortunatley no. I have shimpaku, san jose and procumbens...

I have not delt with Rocky mountain junipers. There are a few yamadori rmjs at the New england bonsai gardens.. Pretty nice ones.. From what I can recall, the prices were not too bad either.

Rob

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi misfit, I don't know how RMJs do in Hawaii....i'm hoping it'll be ok.

noissee & Dave, thanks for looking. Oh & Dave, if I keep adding trees, imma need a bigger dog house!

Harry, thanks. I admire your trees!

Rob, thanks. I'm not sure why the owner sold it, but I do know he has more. I have a few trees from ebay.
Maybe Mr Walter Pall can tell us something about this tree?

walterjuni.jpg

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well these trees were sold by Nature's Way Nursery a while ago. They are all very god collected specimen trees. Many of them are form my collection in America which I was unable to ship to Europe. I am glad that indigenous trees finally find a market in the USA. Ask Jim Doyle abut his offers. I know that he has about 200 outstanding collected trees for sale which is arguably the biggest offer in America. I know that Jim will also ship small and medium sized trees.
The fact that someone buys trees there and is able to sell them on ebay a while later tells you abut pricing.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi misfit, I don't know how RMJs do in Hawaii....i'm hoping it'll be ok.

noissee & Dave, thanks for looking. Oh & Dave, if I keep adding trees, imma need a bigger dog house!

Harry, thanks. I admire your trees!

Rob, thanks. I'm not sure why the owner sold it, but I do know he has more. I have a few trees from ebay.
Maybe Mr Walter Pall can tell us something about this tree?

walterjuni.jpg

Duane...

Is that photo in Hawaii...? Because it looks freakishly like the NW?!!? :eek:

V

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ms Vic...its Pa.....can be a lot like the NW

Reaction score
Rmj ?

It's certainly a very nice juniper with good healthy roots, but I guess I'll be the first to say, it doesn't look like RMJ to me. I have 12 RMJ's . With proper fertilization to create that healthy a tree , I would expect the foilage to have more blue color and not so much green.

I'll defer to WP if he recognizes the tree, but I also think his prize RMJ may actually be a Utah Juniper (juniperus osteosperma). Now that's another whole issue.......

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you Walter Pall for that information. I like having that pic with you by my tree:)

Victrinia, nope, definitely not Hawaii. Thats the previous owner standing with Walter Pall & the tree came from Pa, so I assume Tom is correct.

Fred, at times this tree does have a bluish tinge to it. The tree definitely is a different color than my San jose or Nanas.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would identify it as RMJ myself... having several and having worked with many. Though we tend to replace the foliage with shimpaku as often as not... because RMJ foliage isn't as compact, and with all the moisture we have, sometimes there can be problems with fungus. So keep an eye on it for that.

It's a nice lil one... it seemed bigger than it was until you showed it with Walter and "Pa". ;)

I look forward to hearing how it does.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
There are literally dozens of types of foliage within the RMJ species. I see hundereds of RMJ come through every year and the variance's in color and foliage type/texture is very, very broad.

Jason

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There are literally dozens of types of foliage within the RMJ species. I see hundereds of RMJ come through every year and the variance's in color and foliage type/texture is very, very broad.

Jason

Very true... this one doesn't seem like a odd variance to me. Fred's must just come from a different area.

V

Top Bottom