Rocky Mtn. Pines and a Royal Poinciana - 6 weeks old

Snipper

Seed
Reaction score
20230422_171305.jpg

Exactly Six Saturday's ago I planted a couple Rocky Mountain Pine seeds and some Royal Poinciana seeds.

The day before I potted them, I placed them all in warm water and these are the ones that sank to the bottom of a small custard cup. These are the ones I planted.

Today, they seem to be doing quite well. They seem to love the window spot, where they get a few hours of direct sunlight a day. They've been in the same spot since I first potted.

The two pines sprouted first about 2 weeks after planting. The poinciana popped out at about 3 and a half weeks.

The pines grew really fast and have now seemed to stop growing upward are and now spreading out their needles. They both seem to be growing on an angle for some reason, so I turned them to encourage them to grow toward the light in the window.

The poinciana has been growing a lot faster now since popping out of the ground and it's quite impressive already. It's little leaves fold up at night and then spread out in the daytime. Pretty cool! It also acts like a satellite dish, for when I turn it on a weekly basis to balance out the sunlight, the leaves and branches will slowly turn toward the sun. I rotate the poinciana once a week and it has turned toward the sun every week.

Anyway, I'm a beginner. Any advice? Should I just leave them be and just keep doing what I'm doing?

As for the pines, should I trim the tap roots and replant them as cuttings? Or just let them keep going as is? Also, should I do anything more about the angled growth of the pines? Or just let'em keep going?

Thanks.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Call this an interactive bump.
Got pushed to the second page pretty quickly, and I don't like to see the new folks get discouraged by accidentally being ignored.
Welcome aboard, BTW.

First, fair warning; growing from seed is about the longest route to bonsai there is. Like a 20 year road.
But if it makes you happy, go for broke.

No clue here on the poinciana.
The pinus aristata is more correctly known as the bristlecone pine. I have no personal experience with them, but lots of other folks here do.
I can tell you that pines need lots of sunlight. Your seedlings seem to be reaching for the sun.
No clue where you're located (profile, hint, hint 😉), but you'll want to get them outside into some direct sun as soon as the weather permits.
Of course, letting them reach a bit now can lead to some interesting shapes in the long run. Just something to consider.

Top Bottom