Rodrigo's This is not a Contest Tree

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I ordered a $35 Crabapple in a one gallon pot from Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks a couple of days ago. I asked him to find me the thickest trunk so that I wouldn't "waste" competition time waiting for the trunk to thicken. He said that in order to be able to do that, I'd need to let him choose the cultivar, which I agreed to.

He's shipping it on Monday April 2nd and it should arrive mid/end of next week. I'll post pictures when it gets here.

LET'S DO THIS!

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well the tree came in today! Apparently it is a Red Jewel, it is 10.5" from soil to tip and has good movement down at the base. The trunk is about an inch thick. Front is obviously tentative until I can get a good look at the roots.
Front:
20180404_191952.jpg
Left side:
20180404_192002.jpg
Back:
20180404_192015.jpg
Right:
20180404_192023.jpg

I haven't had much time to study it yet but right away I see 4 branches coming out the same spot after the long straight section.
20180404_192359.jpg
I'll also have to figure out what to do with the first branch and the stub above it. This is my first crabapple so I plan on letting it grow for the summer to learn it's growing habits.

Attachments

• 20180404_192122.jpg
    20180404_192122.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 65

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do you have any apples (crab or otherwise) in your area? I found out the hard way last year that they really like to share diseases.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would stay up on a regiment with this species...so known for Apple scab. Was down sick last year and wasn't as diligent on it myself...and it hit my crab. This year...no blooms. Assuming because it was hit so hard. Just a heads up. ? have fun with your project/contest. ? still fun material...don't let my comment concern you overly...just be proactive.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Do you have any apples (crab or otherwise) in your area? I found out the hard way last year that they really like to share diseases.
I don't have any apples other than this one but I live in a an apartment and the trees are in the balcony on the 3rd floor. I hope that's far enough away from anything that may spread disease! :eek:

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would stay up on a regiment with this species...so known for Apple scab. Was down sick last year and wasn't as diligent on it myself...and it hit my crab. This year...no blooms. Assuming because it was hit so hard. Just a heads up. ? have fun with your project/contest. ? still fun material...don't let my comment concern you overly...just be proactive.
Thank you for the heads up! I sprayed it down with Daconil last night just to be sure. Do you recommend anything specific for apple scab? And thank you!! I'll be sure to be proactive on it and I hope to learn a lot during the contest!

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I finally got some time to sit down and study the tree. I'm already thinking that what I'd thought would be the front is actually going to be the back!

I've read that crabapples backbud well but I've also read that they don't heal larger wounds well, is this true? Because right now I'm thinking about chopping the top off of to get rid of the spot with 4 branches coming from the same spot. However I don't know if I should chop before the upwards branch (red line) and hope for a bud where I need it, or after that branch (green line) and use it as the new leader, but then I'd be stuck with that straight taper-less section.
20180405_191959.jpg
Side view to show the angle that the trunk comes out of soil
20180405_185956.jpg
I also pulled it out of the pot and it looks like I have some work cut out for me in the roots. How aggressive can you be with Malus during root pruning?
20180405_190008.jpg

Finally, I saw a couple of leaves that were shriveled up and looked like there was webbing on them. I opened the leaves and found a couple small caterpillar looking insects. Daconil is a fungicide so it wouldn't take care of those, right? Can I spray Neem Oil right after a dose of daconil or how can I get rid of them?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
how can I get rid of them?

A simple insecticide, not very intrusive is Liquid Sevin, works quickly. There are other simple ones that do the same such as Ortho Home Defense, safe but effective against a lot of "simple" pests. The trick is to apply sooner not later.

@GrimLore this is the crabapple I mentioned this morning, what do you think?

Not knowing the length of time you have to "work" that plant I cannot comment - on a happy note you bought it from Brent a respected source so get rid of the pests and get back to me with a time frame :)

Grimmy

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I was reading about the candy apple crab and sargent’s Tina varieties today at the Missouri Botanic site and they said that some crab varieties do not flower every year. It seems they flower on a biannual basis.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was reading about the candy apple crab and sargent’s Tina varieties today at the Missouri Botanic site and they said that some crab varieties do not flower every year. It seems they flower on a biannual basis.
Thanks...didn't know that. Will look into that more.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A simple insecticide, not very intrusive is Liquid Sevin, works quickly. There are other simple ones that do the same such as Ortho Home Defense, safe but effective against a lot of "simple" pests. The trick is to apply sooner not later.
I'll look into those insecticides asap. I already went through and took off all of the damaged leaves with webbing on them so I'll spray it as a preventive.

Not knowing the length of time you have to "work" that plant I cannot comment - on a happy note you bought it from Brent a respected source so get rid of the pests and get back to me with a time frame :)
The contest is for 4 years so that's the time frame I have but if I need more time to make it even better then I'll do whatever it takes.
Interesting. I'll look into that as well. There's one flower bud on there now so hopefully it flowers again next spring since I missed it this year!
"How aggressive can you be with Malus during root pruning?"

Very. They are hulking beasts and will laugh at you.
Well that's good to know! There's a lot of work to be done under the hood.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well that's good to know! There's a lot of work to be done under the hood.

Yes and no, if you want to go for the gusto with it, plan on 10 -15 years... If you want a lot of good results in less then 5 years for the sake of learning and a short term contest. It is a good plant but development takes longer so I would chop less initially and understand how it responds for you where you live... After that you will have a plant that you will now only have 3 1/2 years to work if all goes great. Not knocking it, good tree, good source, quick not so much, there are smaller plants that can and do produce faster results for a small time frame which we has also chatted about - no worries, still a good plant.

Grimmy

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes and no, if you want to go for the gusto with it, plan on 10 -15 years... If you want a lot of good results in less then 5 years for the sake of learning and a short term contest. It is a good plant but development takes longer so I would chop less initially and understand how it responds for you where you live... After that you will have a plant that you will now only have 3 1/2 years to work if all goes great. Not knocking it, good tree, good source, quick not so much, there are smaller plants that can and do produce faster results for a small time frame which we has also chatted about - no worries, still a good plant.

Grimmy
Thanks for the insight Grimmy. I definitely want to get this tree to the best it can be, after all, it's about the journey and not the destination, right? Even though the contest is for four years, I guess I can try to get it as far as possible in that time frame while keeping in mind that there will still be lots to do after it ends.

so I would chop less initially and understand how it responds for you where you live..
Chopping maybe around that green line on post #7 to see how it reacts? I know it's already too late to chop now so when would be the next best time to do so?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
HERE you can cut any Apple "when the shears and saws are sharp". HERE if after leaf opens you need an effective sealant to apply immediately and some daily observation along with adjusting as needed. There will be sap flow and you don't want that...

That late there I would not go for any large cut as aftercare is a bit of a task when in leaf. You might consider some smaller cuts as I have marked, getting rid of some unwanted and cutting back other leggy growth and let it rest and grow.

Highly interested to what others here that grow Crabapple more Southern then me think like @markyscott :) Either way, best I can tell from those photos this is what I would cut this year, sooner the better -

chops.jpg

Grimmy

Last edited:

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'll get to work on the pruning the long leggy growth then and then let it rest to watch it respond.
https://www.dallasbonsai.com/product-p/c95.htm this is the cut paste that I have, will it be enough or should I be using the putty one instead?

I'd definitely be interested in hearing feedback from @markyscott and @thumblessprimate1, and of course anyone else that has experience with crabapples!

@GrimLore is this a good candidate for the grow out mix we've been discussing? Obviously when it comes time to repot again.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'd definitely be interested in hearing feedback

Both questions would be MUCH easier to explain on the phone, available for an other hour or so today :)

Grimmy

Top Bottom