Rogue seedling, any ideas?

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found this little guy growing in one of my pots this morning. I know it’s probably too early for an acurate guess but any ideas?

A7AC4138-74E4-4286-9AEB-CBD145401F4F.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It’s a nettle!

🤣🤣

I’ve been tricked THREE times this year by young nettle seedlings..

Not EXACTLY sure that’s what THIS is.

🤓

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's counter intuitive, but elm seedlings have opposite leaf arrangement their first year (and then switch to alternate the next year).

So this doesn't look like an elm to me.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found this little guy growing in one of my pots this morning. I know it’s probably too early for an acurate guess but any ideas?

View attachment 397220

If it's not something you intentionally planted, it's...by definition...a weed ;) It''s best to snip it out. It's likely the roots will just get tangled in what you intended to plant and cause problems otherwise :(

Any "freebee" tree species that oppertunisticly rooted itself in a pot is likely to also have seeded itself throughout your landscaping...pick one of those...safer for your young seedling that you intended to plant :D

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hoping it is a tree is pretty high hopes unless it is a weed tree like an elm. I am inclined to agree now that it is probably nettles. I have thousands of nettles see everywhere.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hoping it is a tree is pretty high hopes unless it is a weed tree like an elm. I am inclined to agree now that it is probably nettles. I have thousands of nettles see everywhere.
Last season a friend sent me some seeds from my hometown. Only one sprouted so I babied it like crazy.

It was a petunia.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm I like nettle in my tea but no I don’t want them around. Odd because none in my garden. Will rip it out before it turns into “evil sting thing” 😂😂😂😂

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm I like nettle in my tea but no I don’t want them around. Odd because none in my garden. Will rip it out before it turns into “evil sting thing” 😂😂😂😂
I can sympathize. I take nettle leaf and nettle root supplements and have for years. But it is no fun to brush up against one when you are hiking.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I can sympathize. I take nettle leaf and nettle root supplements and have for years. But it is no fun to brush up against one when you are hiking.
I remember, as a kid.. trying to gain “immunity” or “tolerance” to nettles and the “poison-leaves”..

Results were inconclusive.

😬🤣

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I was a kid I got poison ivy almost by looking at it. My parents took me to a doctor and I got a poison ivy shot. I didn't have poison ivy for many years ( about 12 or 13) and when I did get it again I went looking for this shot. The doctor said that such a shot didn't exist and that the shot I had received must have been from Doctor Frankenstein.
For the past 40 years or so I have been using Rhus tox, which is a homeopathic treatment. Works very well.
I was on an herbalist retreat one time with Stephen Buhner and a group of his diehards. A few of those people plucked the baby leaves of poison ivy, popped them into their mouths and ate them.
Sorry for being so off track from the original post but since the lover of fine fat horses cracked the door I threw it wide open.

Top Bottom