Rookie mistake!

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I checked on my wiring of my Seiju elm last night and found it had cut in on some branches and was almost burried on a couple more. I bought the tree from Brent last summer and it grew only okay last summer/fall. It had been repotted just before I got it so it was probably busy getting used to it's new pot and didn't grow that much. I also probably could have given it more sun. It's really hot and dry in my backyard so I had it protected a bit with mostly morning sun. This January I trimmed a couple crossing roots at the surface but didn't repot it. On Feb 29th I wired a few top branches into what I thought would be a more balanced position. It didn't really need the wiring but I just wanted to spread out the growth a little. This tree still needs a couple years of straight growth to taper the tops of the trunks into apices before branch work so wire really wasn't needed...
Anyway this Spring it's been in the warmest, sunniest part of the backyard and it's taken off and grown right through my wire in less than 2 months!
I didn't think I'd make this mistake as I look at my trees every day but the foliage covers the wiring some and I had no idea it was going to grow so fast! I've read warnings on checking wiring but I figured it's some other schmo that messes that one up... not me!
I guess the good news is that it's growing fast...
and also good that I'll probably cut off most of the wire marked branches by the end anyway... and the cork barking should cover it.
The first picture is Brent's from prior to sale:
Jan_2011.jpg

The next is how it looked this winter (Dec, 2011.)
Dec22_2011.jpg

These are how it looked last night with the cuts and the new growth:
Apr24_2012_1.jpgApr24_2012_2.jpgApr24_2012_3.jpg

Ian

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought one of Brent's seijus last fall, and was wondering how fast they grow. Now I know :) Though, I repotted mine this spring (with limited root work) and it's moving a little slower than yours. Haven't wired or carved it yet.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He still has some available. :) I'm sure that you could also email him and he can see if he has other trees not on the website that would work for you. I've always had nothing but great experiences buying from Brent, so I highly recommend him.

On his cork bark elms, I have to say that the pictures on his website way understate how incredible they are in person (no offense to his photography skills). These really are one of kind amazing trees.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello iant..not necessarlliy a rookie mistake. Trees can grow fast and in spurts. One time you look at the tree it's fine and then it seems to be cutting in. Sometimes people leave wire on until it cuts in. Rather than wire year after year, they just wait until it cuts in a little bit. Usually, this is done with conifers though, but the principle is the same. You have some nice elm material with this tree. The tree itself will probably correct the scars in time or just wire some foliage in front of it. That is, if you decide to keep those branches.

A nice tree with great potential.

Rob

Top Bottom