Rookie Needs Advice on Juniper Bonsai Care

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to this whole bonsai thing and I made this account for some advice. First off, I know most people don't reccomend housing junipers indoor, and currently I am but it's only for 6 months till I move out of my apartment, will that be ok? I bought the bonsai in this place that sells plants, but the women was most definitely not educated on bonsais, as she told me to water the bonsai twice a day. If what I've read is correct you should dip the pot in a bucket of water when you see the soil is damp for watering. I have it by window in "filtered light." I made a humidity tray and filled it with some old aquarium gravel. The plant's substrate is peat and a layer of pebbles on top. Should I replace the pebbles with the gravel, as the gravel I have is filled with some nutrients for aquatic plants? There are to stems/trunks on my current bonsai. One is short and the other tall. The shorter one has 2 more stems/trunks protruding from it. I'm going to order this fertilizer and use it soon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A2UZ41624K8LUQ) Is it ok to use? And lastly, there's about a month of summer left here, so at the end of summer do I stop putting fertilizer? Sorry if it was long. Aside from answering my questions I would appreciate any extra advice. Thanks.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
First off welcome to the world of Living Art. And the first thing to learn is how to keep your trees not just alive, but thriving. And the second is patience. Bonsai are created in years not days. Also please add your location to your profile. Suggestion depend on your climate (location) and the species of tree. And pictures are always very helpful.

Junipers just do not do well indoors. I would not expect yours to be alive at the end of 6 months. Do not water it twice a day, only when needed. Put a chop-stick in the soil and if it is dry when you pull it out, then water. Normally, we do not imerse our bonsai in buckets of water, just gently from the top.

Forget the pebbles/gravel on top. And depending on where you are you should repot to get rid of the peat and replace with a well draining bonsai soil. Peat and too much water will end up with root rot and kill your tree.

You do not need to order special fertilizer. I would just try to keep it alive and then when it is stable you can just buy a good fertilizer from your local big box or garden center.

For each of your questions you can use BonsaiNut's search feature. You will get plenty of information, sometimes conflicting because our experiences are different and we have different species of trees and live in different climes.

Welcome again -- and good luck.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome man, junipers shouldn't be inside you could mist it regularly (dry air inside), i hope he makes it.

Reaction score
I'm not sure how to add my location but I live in NYC. During winter shouldn't they be kept inside either way, since winter is coming here soon. By forget do you mean I should remove the pebbles? Also, I have moss. What's the purpose of that? I will add pictures later.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can keep that bugger outside all year round. In fact it has to be that way. They need down time and freezing for 4 months does the trick. Well 4 for me probably less for you.

Reaction score
Is there anything I can buy to keep it outside, like in some basket or so?

Top Bottom