Rookie Trident grafting

ragenmoan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have these 2 Tridents I'd like to attempt approach/thread grafting. I live in the San Francisco bay area (Mtn. View climate zone 9B). Seen a number of articles and still wondering the best time to attempt this, thread grafting in particular. Is it best to thread graft before the buds swell or later in the season after cutting off the leaves? The buds are quite large now so I'm leaning towards grafting later because sap is flowing and the dormant buds, at the trimmed leaf nodes can be threaded through a smaller hole. What would be the best time of the year for approach grafting? Is one method preferred over the other depending on tree age? IMG_5440[1].JPGIMG_5443[1].JPG

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I’d do it now . Drill the hole(s) and pull the branch through... try not to knock off any buds but pull it snug so as to allow the thread to easily attach. Takes a good season and half...
good luck

I just yesterday performed two air layers on a Carpinus Koreansis and will post some images at some point.

Attachments

• E633D8DB-00BE-485D-AEBA-142DC4618359.jpeg
    E633D8DB-00BE-485D-AEBA-142DC4618359.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 14B23FB0-66C6-4815-AA07-8A77ACB02594.jpeg
    14B23FB0-66C6-4815-AA07-8A77ACB02594.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 212FF18F-0FEB-46F5-8E64-7050FC9EEF11.jpeg
    212FF18F-0FEB-46F5-8E64-7050FC9EEF11.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 14

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Now. I live just up 280 from you, and am currently working in sunnyvale.

My tridents are just starting to push.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
You need to do the thread graft before the buds swell. Otherwise, you've got to drill a significantly larger hole to pass the whip through without damaging buds. Approach grafts should be done either before buds start to move or after the first flush of growth has started to lignify.

ragenmoan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You need to do the thread graft before the buds swell. Otherwise, you've got to drill a significantly larger hole to pass the whip through without damaging buds. Approach grafts should be done either before buds start to move or after the first flush of growth has started to lignify.
The buds now are really getting big. I'm afraid the hole may have to be really big to thread the whip without damaging the buds. I saw a video where a trident was in full leaf when thread grafted. They cut off the leaves on the whip before threading it through a smaller hole. New leaves grew from the leaf nodes. Just wondering if the success rate would still be in my favor if I did this later.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The buds now are really getting big. I'm afraid the hole may have to be really big to thread the whip without damaging the buds. I saw a video where a trident was in full leaf when thread grafted. They cut off the leaves on the whip before threading it through a smaller hole. New leaves grew from the leaf nodes. Just wondering if the success rate would still be in my favor if I did this later.
I have no idea as I’ve never done the procedure like that. For what it’s worth, I haven’t had great success using thread grafting on tridents and usually use approach grafting if it will give reasonable results.

ragenmoan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Oh, also, is it best to expose the cambium layer on the whip before threading it through the hole? I've videos I've seen did not do this. I suppose they forced the cambium layer to fuse together when the whip grew larger.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Oh, also, is it best to expose the cambium layer on the whip before threading it through the hole? I've videos I've seen did not do this. I suppose they forced the cambium layer to fuse together when the whip grew larger.
Yes. Attempt to match the cambium on the branch to an exposed spot on the hole on the trunk.

And the other time to thread graft (when they cut the leaves off) is sometime after first flush has hardened.
If your buds have already swelled, you might want to wait.

ragenmoan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes. Attempt to match the cambium on the branch to an exposed spot on the hole on the trunk.

And the other time to thread graft (when they cut the leaves off) is sometime after first flush has hardened.
If your buds have already swelled, you might want to wait.
Was thinking the same thing. I think if I wait until the entire whip has hardened off, the little buds may already have a head start forming. I should probably start wiring and bending the whip close to where it needs to be before it gets too fat and brittle.

Top Bottom