Room for everyone

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
You keep buying your bonsai and pretending you're an artist and I'll keep growing and designing my own, for better or for worse, they are my own work.

Okay Bozo, show me one place, ever, where I ever claimed to be anything but at a beginner level in bonsai. Please for once, prove your words.

All you have accomplished in bonsai is writing a few checks, my eight year old daughter could do that, big deal, and she most likely has better penmanship to boot.

I'll match my actual contributions to the bonsai community against yours any day, you keep writing the checks, I'll keep making sure that the checks you write get larger every year. ;)

Leave out the insults, personal attacks, and other filler and everyone wins in a debate. At worst a person reconfirms their beliefs, at best they add to what they already knew, a good debate is a win/win situation for all, even those who don't participate. The only losers are those who try and stop the sharing of thoughts and knowledge.

...Kimura.

Since Mr. Kimura was invoked, how do you think it is that he can afford to be a full-time bonsai professional?

This ticks me off, Will, primarily because it is so totally backward from the things you claim to advocate.

Nothing will advance the art in the US as fast as the presence of enthusiastic, financially-able collectors who can and do create a market for high-end material and expert artists' care.

-rw

I'm inclined to agree with Redwing here.

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
I've reposted the above from this thread since my question went unanswered.

Is there not room for everyone in bonsai, participating in the way they choose? The collectors, whether they use shovels or money play a vital role, don't they? Should they be discourage (when done legally, of course)? Why all the negativity surrounding the source of material?

I have material of all kinds in my yard, collected, nursery stock, purchased raw material, imported, domestically grown, cuttings, seedlings, old, young, refined, and in development. If you wish to limit yourself to one avenue I see no problem with that, but why all the negativity when others choose not to limit themselves?

I'm curious what others think.

Last edited:

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you wish to limit yourself to one avenue I see no problem with that, but why all the negativity when others choose not to limit themselves?

I'm curious what others think.

The reason is that we have different taste and preferences, and we believe that our taste is the "right one". Often, we can back up our opinion with books written by people who we think of as authorities.

Other people don't believe in authorities.

The solution is to aknowledge that there is no such thing as "wrong taste", respect each other's preference, and move on. But this is impossible, because humans, by nature, are very competitive creatures. We want to be acknowledged and admired, and the result is predictable.

Remember that life itself is a survival game, it is a form of competition, at work, in personal life, at every level. So this is what we do on these forums as well. Nothing one can do about it. It's in our nature.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
****Multiple quotes taken completely out of context***

ovation, perhaps you should quote both sides, unless of course you are purposely trying to slant perception....Funny how you titled a thread "room for everyone" but obviously feel there is room for only one side :rolleyes:

Harry jumped into a discussion that he was not previously participating in and threw some stones....I threw some back at him. Those interested can see where this started and where the quote ovation posted came from (in context) at http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3125&page=4

By the way, what does your quotes have to do with the subject?

Will

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Okay, a quick take from my prespective, if you have to explain and defend your creation as a bonsai, then it must not look like a bonsai. A true bonsai needs no explanation, it speaks for itself and you will know it when you see it.

keep it green,
Harry

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay, a quick take from my prespective, if you have to explain and defend your creation as a bonsai, then it must not look like a bonsai. A true bonsai needs no explanation, it speaks for itself and you will know it when you see it.

You mean all those years Kimura and even Pall spent explaining their work was all for nothing? :confused:

Will

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
By the way, what does(sic) your quotes have to do with the subject?

They show a pattern of exactly what this thread is about. Please read again, and do try to stay on subject.

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
You mean all those years Kimura and even Pall spent explaining their work was all for nothing? :confused:

Will

It was to me, I've never read any of it. Do you feel the need to explain a beautiful woman to me ?

keep it green,
Harry

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm sure Mr Farr will come up with the goods soon,all this waiting around and looking at his Emu impression is too much.

Top Bottom