Root Assasin vs Root Slayer

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have a 500 ft long dock with 100 ft on land. The under brush around the dock has always been an issue. The brushes are too big for weed eater and operating a weed eater with a cutting wheel is dangerous in close quarter. This long handle root slayer works out well for me. I just stand outside and stab the base of the brushes and drag them out. I cleared out 20 ft of under brush for just a short time I had yesterday afternoon. It's a mega pop-a-weed tool for me in addition to being a collection tool. You can bet it will be in my truck tool box at all time.

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have the Root Slayer Nomad, which I ordered from the US to the UK. Definitely worth it. Makes collecting so much easier. The small size of the Nomad is perfect, even for quite large trees. I have modified mine to make the handle removable. This means that I can put the blade in my bag and use the handle as a walking stick so that I don't look like a weirdo.

I haven't tried the Assassin, but heard that it was less sturdy.

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
I got the root slayer last year for my gardening work as I do quite a bit of garden clearance for people before landscaping etc. It's easily the best money I've spent and my favourite tool! Has saved me countless hours of using pick axes and off bars, saws etc to remove old tree stumps and all sorts. Can't recommend it enough. Think I'm going to get myself the short handled one as well for collecting!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The root slayer is amazing, I swear by it and never collect trees without it. I can collect 10 times faster since I no longer have to constantly switch between shovel to saw. Now I only grab a saw for very massive roots. Also in my experience it has eliminated the need for a pry bar. Whereas most other shovels would bend or break, I can easily use the root slayer as a pry bar. I have never experience and degree of wonkiness that the previous post describes.

is it really that strong?!
ok, nice review, im sold!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
ok ive just ordered this, couple of very good reviews on amazon

I did not think a lot of a radius digging fork I bought, but this is my favourite garden tool and has so many uses.
I have not actually tried it to dig out tree roots, but I do use it for many tasks and no other tool can come near it.
First, it is immensely strong - it has a resin coated steel shaft from head to toe. This makes it heavy of course, but you either get something that's light and breaks, or this! Don't be put off by reviewers who say you aren't meant to use it as a lever. Although it is true, that if you are cutting through big roots, then levering is not the right action, but it is more capable of hefty levering of stones etc than any other tool I have.
My soil is chalky with a lot of heavy clay. After a dry summer I could not get anything through it. But this just cuts through like magic! The teeth and the shaped end are extremely sharp. It is also good if you need, say, to dig a hole to plant something in the middle of a border, because it cuts down deep but in a narrow radius. So it can be used as a blunderbus but is also good for precise work. It seems to clean well after a session of clay digging too.
I like the radius handles, which look awkward but actually are better than D handles, and provide good grip and leverage. I also like the substantial foot plates which really help with pushing the shovel in.

I recommend going on to you tube and searching for reviews of this tool. There is a good one by someone digging through frozen earth and so on.

The Root Slayer delivered more than i expected. It is so effective i was amazed. But there is a technique to be learned otherwise it will be very hard work and you may damage the blade. The blade and the shaft are not designed to be used to break roots by leverage. The spade is a good weight and if you try to use it like a regular spade you will become weary very quickly. So the technique is to lift the spade vertically and drive it into the target. Be sure to keep your feet well away and perhaps this is the situation when you need toe protection foot wear. As you drive the blade into the ground the serrated edges sever the roots and a few repeats might be necessary. But the effect is very rewarding. See my photos for evidence of effectiveness. I think the Root Slayer is well designed, easy to use and excellent value for money.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This sounds great, I’m ordering one from amazon in Germany. Will need it for the 40+ yamadoris I plan to collect this spring. Free shipping in EU and not to bad price wise.

40+ trees to collect this spring?! Are you in the business of selling trees?

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
is it really that strong?!
ok, nice review, im sold!

It's pretty damn strong. I do regular grounds keeping at a care home with a large garden and had to dig out a dozen or so phormium that had got way too big this year. The slayer first slices through really dense root masses very easily, I just cut a bowl underneath the whole plant, you can literally just slice under and around the whole thing in no time, then use it to lever the mass out. I've dug out some Italian Cypress root balls recently which was harder going - I find the shaft is bloody strong but you do hit a point where it starts to flex a little, and that's when I stop and figure out what else is stopping your target moving. At no point have I felt like it was going to break though, usually it starts to feel like my arms or back are under more strain than the tool if you really push it!
The same grounds are basically a horrible mix of clay and solid lumps of stone so when you're digging occasionally you come across one and the easiest way to get it out is to using the method described above - just do a huge vertical jack hammer motion straight down and it usually just cracks the whole stone in two. I've yet to even chip the blade edge and after a year or so there is only a couple of slightly blunt points. You can split and smash your way through thick tree roots very easily!

+1 about the footplates on the top of the blade as well, really handy.
Also the radial handle is a bit weird at first, and you do have to get your grip right if you are doing heavy thrusts with it as it can put awkward strain on your wrists if they're not in a good position.

Oh and also steel toe caps a must... saved my little piggies more than once using this thing! :rolleyes:

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am wanting one of these root slayer shovels and did not realize how many different styles there were. I will be digging larger conifers in some good soil, some rocky soils, and some rooty soils. Which would be the best choice? Help appreciated!

Amazon.com : root slayer shovel

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are all
I am wanting one of these root slayer shovels and did not realize how many different styles there were. I will be digging larger conifers in some good soil, some rocky soils, and some rooty soils. Which would be the best choice? Help appreciated!

Amazon.com : root slayer shovel

They are all good products. I have this one, the XL. It is a beast. It's heavy and plenty long for taller folks. I use it for everything.

I know friends who have the smaller versions with the circle handles that pack them in the mountains and also love them. Depends on what you are doing.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The round handle on the original slayer is legit for approach at angles...also the forked teeth at the end are aided by this design by twisting rocks out via lever/fulcrum.

This is the best shovel I have ever used in rocks/roots. There has been several times where I have put it in the ground and put all my 200+ on it even kinda jumping -some flex, never bent anywhere on it.

I don’t use it to remove or cut earth specifically but everything in the earth; however, if to choose one in the field, easy choice. It’ll break up earth I can scoop out with hand and arm.

Top Bottom