root bound pussywillow gift

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

They do best when cut/trimmed after they bloom in the Spring. It will also give you a better idea of what kind it is. They like a lot of Sun and prefer damp feet. If you do cut it after bloom place the cuttings in(not submerged) water. They should root well in 2 -3 weeks.

Grimmy

Woodland Spirit

Chumono
Reaction score
I was thinking about removing the leftmost branch and cutting back to the middle small branch.(red lines)
Maybe back to the green line.

Attachments

• IMG_20160114_161437520_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160114_161437520_HDR.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 33

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was thinking about removing the leftmost branch and cutting back to the middle small branch.(red lines)
Seems like a good plan / start, maybe the trunk could be fattened up first a bit more by planting in the ground.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For the love of good root anything you cut off, I have 100 percent success.

Aaron

Last edited:

Woodland Spirit

Chumono
Reaction score
Hopefully it will sprout branches like dreadlocks so I can pick the ones I like and have plenty of draw on the sap to make fat trunk.
I hope another sacrifice branch sprouts on the left where I will cut the branch. I would leave that one but it's to big.
I could not resist peeking.

_20160115_134047.JPG

Must not snip......
Must resist

Compromise
Put in biger pot without messing with root

Woodland Spirit

Chumono
Reaction score
Since I'm trying to get fine roots and develop a good trunk on this when is the best time to trim and spread the roots?
They are almost a solid mass right now and will need work soon.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Since I'm trying to get fine roots and develop a good trunk on this when is the best time to trim and spread the roots?
They are almost a solid mass right now and will need work soon.
I'd wait until its just about to push growth then go hard on the roots, as we said before they root easily so they respond well to root pruning.

Aaron

Woodland Spirit

Chumono
Reaction score
When I take the big leftmost side branch off there will be a huge lump. I figured I'd cut a concave hole shaped like a sideways eye. Then undermine the wood from beneath the sides, making open space under the bark. The bark is thin so it should compress a little. If I leave a thin layer of wood under the cambium and tightly tape it. It should reduce the lump and minimize the scar.
Tree plastic surgery.
Think it will work?

Top Bottom