Root Connected Examples

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Does anyone have any examples of root connected trees? I've looked around but I'm not sure if there is another name for this that would provide better search results.

I was re-reading Peter Adam's maple book and thought I might try this with a root cutting from a Cedar Elm from this winter. This one might extend too high above the soil to be convincing, but I think it could potentially work down the road. I threw this one in a cheap plastic pot with large pumice just to see if it would take. Will get it into some smaller particles next year. The shoots are still a little too weak to be wired down as I thinned out a few that were growing from the same place and noticed that even one of the more lignified ones would likely snap off if bent horizontally.

would be fun to tinker around with this. The example is a maple but I'm sure the method doesn't change much for the elm.

tempImagefOdUjP.jpg
tempImagezbrOGo.jpgtempImageEasClx.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I'd like to see you throw a wire higher to promote really high roots.

Leaving yourself good spacers to later cut under them really close.

In the mean time, drag them branches down and make em root, so they're more or less capable of surviving on their own...

For when you take a hole saw to the middle, in hopes that some sections will heal over, some may die, so you end up with a nice, tripping hazard in the center.

Nice.

Sorce

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The shoots seemed thick enough to wire and bend without breaking so I had a go at it this morning. I'll tourniquet it when I repot next spring into a large shallow box as seen in Peter's drawing. I think I initially put too much wiggle in the shoots so I might re-adjust and make it less octopussy.

tempImageW9vs9w.jpg
tempImagevl9iKG.jpg

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ended up bailing out of that plan and just working to develop it into a little guy.

Here's that root cutting today. Still a year or two to go before it starts looking a little better.
054046C2-D219-4F0E-84B2-B6B5A698BB37_1_105_c.jpeg

Top Bottom