Root/Crown Gall

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone experience with treating root/crown gall? I have a bad case of it involving a mature crab apple. Repot 15 months ago, to find hundreds of root galls. Cut as many out as possible and potted into Boon mix. Tree is starting to leaf out for spring (second spring since repot). Appears weak. Have read about use of Zerotol and Phyton 35 on Michael Hegedorn's blog, for treating gall in Chojubai quince. Any experience with these products?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It depends a lot on what type of galls you found. If they're bacterial, then you'd need a bactericide specific to that bacterium, phyton should work. If it's a mite or larvae, then you'd need an insecticide and bactericides wouldn't do much good.
If it's bacterial, it might be good to find the source as well; agrobacterium tumefasciens can't travel a lot on their own, they need both a host, as well as a vector (a carrier) to spread it to your crab apple. Aphids and beetles are part of those carrier groups. If there are numerous galls in the soil, something must have lived there and infected your tree. But tracing it back to the original source could help you resolve this issue within a year (burn the source and treat your tree), instead of having to combat it every moment from now on.

Please take note that these bacteria will go resistant if not treated until every last one is dead. It happens in every genetic research lab a few times a year.

Treat all of your susceptible trees with the same stuff, both bactericide as well as insecticides, before you have a wildfire of hosts in your backyard.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for your reply. It sounds as if you have a scientific background, a good resource. I don't know the pest specifically. How can I tell?

Michael Hagedorn @ crataegus.com suggests this problem is often caused by both a nematode and bacteria, therefore the suggestion of Phyton 35 and Zerotol. he suggests treating for both.

When it comes to actual treatment, do I root drench (heavy watering with medicine), submerse the whole pot with soil in the medicine or pull tree out of pot, wash away soil, cut out as much gall as possible and then submerse in medicine?

Top Bottom