Root cutting or not?

NOVAbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My friend bought two nursery pre bonsai plants with intent to chop them back and I was wondering if he would have to chop the roots back at the same time. the two plants are:

Japanese maple:
-Right now its about 4ft tall and he wants to chop it down to about 12 inches (The base is already tapped a bit and its in a 3 gallon pot)

Should he chop it back and reduce the roots at the same time? Or let it grow with the roots it had for a 4foot tree with much more foliage (There are some leaves below the cut he wants to make but not many).

Boxwood:
-He wants to do a hard cleanup on this plant. It already has a good shape and trunk but he wants the middle more open so will be removing maybe 25% of the branches. I have heard you need to reduce roots on boxwood if you prune hard but is this hard pruning?

Thanks for the help. I don't have experience with either of these plants and I want his pre bonsai to survive because he is just getting into it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where are you? Shtick it in the profeelay.

Boxwood die over winter here if not repotted, always of they're chopped and not repotted.

I just repotted a local maple and it's pushing buds.

Sorce

Top Bottom