:-/ root cutting

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have a Fukien Tea tree which was left on my porch by who knows about 4 months ago.
At the time it was growing wild but in great condition so I did a little prunning. It recovered quickly with new shoots and lots of random white flowers everywhere. Confident with the trees health I decided (4 months later) to repot it from the horrid peat moss pot it was planted in. Upon removing the tree from it's pot I noticed it had a circling root around it's trunk I removed. Nothing major but it support maybe an 1/8 of it's overall root mass. 2 days later (wishing I could post a picture) it is wilting.
So.... I know after doing some reading that Fukien hate root trimming. My question is is there any hope or something I can do to try and save the tree?

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Not to familiar with fukien but when I repot and root prune I always use a tray of water and keep it in the shade for a few days to even a week of so. May help...

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
You need to keep up the humidity around the plant while the roots recover; it needs to be able to absorb additional moisture thru the foliage.

Credit for this idea goes to Carl Rosner, who calls it an "ICU." Take a cardboard box, flip it over, cut off the top flaps. Cut out panels in the side and new top, and cover them with something transparent such as plastic wrap (like your wife buys for the kitchen.) Put the whole thing over the tree and, voilá, a humidity enclosure.

Be sure not to leave the enclosed tree in direct sun for more than a few minutes at a time: heat can build up inside surprisingly fast.

Attachments

• Rosner ICU virt.jpg
    Rosner ICU virt.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 4

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks everyone and treebeard for sharing that great idea!

Top Bottom