Root graft on a maple

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a maple (many of you are familiar with it) that I am slowly adding root grafts in an effort to improve its nebari. I decided to chronicle as best as I could my process for completing one. There are a couple of ways to do root grafts. One is by thread grafting and the other by way of approach grafting which is the one I am using for this tree.

Doing root grafts is an easy concept to grasp, just needs precise work, patience... and a little practice. Definitely a great way to improve the nebari on any given deciduous tree.

Here is the tree enjoying a sunny day outside just before it gets pulled into the operating room.

Here the tree is brought inside to get the root graft. Besides it lies the 2 year old maple seedling that I'll be using.

I had to sift through a few maple seedlings in order to find a suitable one for the job. The side root on this one was perfect as many had mainly one tap root growing straight down.

The groove indicated by the red arrow is what remains of a failed graft. Last year when the graft was made, the seedling did not get enough light and air to survive. This year I will take measures so that this doesn't happen again. As you can see there is a gap right at the front of the nebari where roots are needed. Looking closely there is a tiny root growing at the bottom of the groove but this will take years to catch up with the rest if ever.

As a next step, I carefully re-injured with a dremel the edges of the old groove to expose the cambium and ensure good contact with the seedling.

The tree is then taken out of its pot.

It would have been ideal if I could have done the grafting while repotting the tree, but the maple was not yet due for one. Instead, I cut out a pie shaped wedge of soil in order to make room for the roots of the new seedling.

The seedling's bark was lightly scraped to expose its cambium layer and then checked for fit and precise position within the groove.

The seedling was then secured into position with a pushpin.

The seedling was also wired loosely and secured to a branch so that it is held in place. In addition, the wire allowed me to bend it forwards where it would receive the maximum amount of light and air. It is extremely important that the seedling does not move around at any point while the graft is in progress.

Then the graft union was covered with cut paste to retain moisture until the two cambium layers fuse together hopefully by end of season.

The maple was then placed back into the pot. To complete the job, the surface of the soil was cleaned up and finely sieved akadama was spread evenly around the tree.

Finally the tree is thoroughly watered and placed outside in light shade for a couple of weeks.

A quick flashback. Below is another root graft I made two years ago at the back of the tree.

And here it is as it looks now [red arrow].

I don't generally document in detail step by step processes, but being inspired by members here like BVF and Smoke I thought I'd give it a go and at least share some things that have worked for me.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
wow! awesome!!! and perfect timing, as I have to do this soon!

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks for posting this! I'm surprised that the bark lost its green in just two years.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thank you for posting this root grafting progression with the supporting detailed pictures.

Cmdrew6115

Seedling
Reaction score
Incredible tree and thank you for the guide, maybe one day I'll have the need and ability to try something like this.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you guys! I am glad some of you may find this helpful. Remember that the seedling must receive light and air. Otherwise it will not thrive and your graft will likely not take. In my experience, one of the trickiest aspects of these approach grafts is making sure that the seedling goes into the groove at least half way or more in order later to make a smooth transitional cut of the seedling. This will then allow the scar that's left to blend in with the rest of the tree.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, this is a timely post, as I am seriously considering an approach graft of a root on an Elm. Do you have any photos of it after cutting off the top of the seedling? How did you carve/treat the wound?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
After the seedling grafts on to the parent tree, I just cut it off much like you would a branch. I cut it on a downward angle. If done properly, it should heal blending in eventually with the rest of the tree. In my experience, it is important to make sure the seedling is well seated within the groove. Otherwise it will either fail or it will stick out looking weird and unnatural.

I do not have photos specifically of when/how I make the cut, but the last photo on this thread is the best I have of how it should look like. In that photo, notice I have cut paste covering the scar as it heals.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice tidy work. I have had bad luck keeping root grafts alive if I cannot get them growing out and above the canopy of the main tree. Looks like this one should get up and out in the sunshine pretty quick. Incidentally, you should check out those grafting nails Mark(?) is selling by lots of 100 on FB. They're like having a third hand when grafting.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice tidy work. I have had bad luck keeping root grafts alive if I cannot get them growing out and above the canopy of the main tree. Looks like this one should get up and out in the sunshine pretty quick. Incidentally, you should check out those grafting nails Mark(?) is selling by lots of 100 on FB. They're like having a third hand when grafting.

Thanks Brian I'll be sure to look into those nails. Yes getting the grafted seedling enough light is undoubtedly the key to success. As mentioned, my graft last year failed for same reasons. Perhaps one way to solve for this is to tilt the tree temporarily so that the graft(s) can receive better light?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Might a mirror or some mylar work?

Yes that may also work!? Along that same idea, the top of some of my benches are painted a light color. Aside from my own aesthetic reasons, I also did it to reflect light back into the trees. I cannot help but think that even in small ways, this is beneficial.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for laughing. It was intended as a jab since I am super jealous of this fine tree. The bark, the red twigs and the pot. It's just such a classical image. Thanks for being a sport,
Cheers, Fabio

Top Bottom