Root or branch

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Today on my dog walk I passed a hedge that had been flailed this morning, which basically for anyone that doesn’t know, is a giant drum mower attached to a movable arm and side mounted to a tractor. I hate it because although it is quick and effective, it leaves a god awful mess all over the place and even worse damage to trees and hedges. Farmers seem to think it’s the best thing since sliced bread though and do it at every opportunity. Anyway, without ranting too much... because of the power of the machine it often rips plants from the ground if the cut is attempted low enough and in this instance, just such an occurrence happened in the shape shape of this prunus root. I am not sure if it is P. Spinosa or P. Domestica sub Syriaca, but ether way, it has come out with plenty of fine roots and is worth a pot up.

Whilst trying to work out the planting angle I realised that there is quite a lot of taper to the root and that actually, planted up side down or at least leaving the end of the root exposed this could make for an interesting trunk.

Would it work? Can a root reverse the flow of nutrients and become a trunk? Can anybody else see another configuration that would make for an interesting tree or raft? Thanks.

It is currently submerged in the river awaiting a purpose 🙂

EEB4A535-F3E7-4A87-A272-131113762938.jpeg
191EA183-F1CA-47C5-AD6C-585F5988EB4F.jpeg7B843726-2AAF-4865-B0C6-C0E5A9F5CF6F.jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know it has been done with e.g., olives.

I think one criterium would be: Does this species sprout from roots.

If it does, you might be lucky.

Were it mine to try this with.. I would suspect the bark to be fairly permeable and prone to drying out. I would bury it vertical in a tall pot, leaving just an inch or so above-ground, reducing the soil level over time once it starts to sprout OR planting it 1/4 or so in substrate, wraaping the rest tightly with transparant foil to keep it very moist.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Yes, I had envisaged chopping it to the smallish vertical root halfway up and burying it fairly deep, then doing as you say. It is part of a root sucker itself so they are certainly inclined to grow and spread that way.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’d get it to grow first. if my tree I’d want to know what growth the tree is thinking about. What’s going to grow and what not since the chopping happened. That may be just my approach to collected material though.
I totally get that tractor guided cutting. I get this around my area at least twice a year. Amazing what that cutter can cut and rip through.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have not been able to get reverse root cuttings to grow that way. Often they survive by putting shoots out of the right end (under ground) The shoots then grow up to the surface and develop new roots as they grow.

Most plums grow very easy as root cuttings so if anything will do it a plum should be able to.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I’d get it to grow first. if my tree I’d want to know what growth the tree is thinking about. What’s going to grow and what not since the chopping happened. That may be just my approach to collected material though.
I totally get that tractor guided cutting. I get this around my area at least twice a year. Amazing what that cutter can cut and rip through.
Interesting, I can see that, but would that not negate the redirection of growth if I want it to change function? For example, by strengthening the chopped trunk now I‘d be less likely to get it to push buds from the roots.

Yes, they certainly get the job done. I’ve seen some over zealous farmers reduce mature trees to stumps and mulch before.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
You live on a boat... I wouldn't waste the space ;) .
You’re probably not wrong, but fortunately I have a “nursery” space now in the adjacent field so, to be honest, I’ll just pot it up and stick it with the other hopefuls for now. It’s more a curiosity than an aspiring prize winner . 🙃

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I have not been able to get reverse root cuttings to grow that way. Often they survive by putting shoots out of the right end (under ground) The shoots then grow up to the surface and develop new roots as they grow.

Most plums grow very easy as root cuttings so if anything will do it a plum should be able to.
That is interesting, but not surprising now you say it. I had thought that because something within the species makes this occur naturally (albeit with the parent attached to the other end) it may be possible. I suppose I could try and replicate nature and plant at an angle leaving the original trunk exposed and also the root tip.

Top Bottom