Root over rock maples project

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Over the last year I have been preparing to put some root over rock plantings together.
I had a bunch of rocks, and today I decided to glue some of the big rocks on top of smaller ones, so they stand on their own. Come spring, I have some trident and arakawa youngsters to take their seed!

1612988896326.png

1612988917283.png

1612988938431.png

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Cool rock(s)!
I’m also super excited to start some JM and trident ROR projects. I’ve already got my first JM ROR started with a cutting from earlier this season. It’s already pushing roots out the bottom of the pot it’s in so things are looking promising so far.

Keep us updated when you add the RO to your R!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice joins. They look quite natural.
What have you used to join these?
Thx. I glued them with "pattex" 2-component glue for outdoor use, extra strong. Something like 28kg per squar cm. That is easy for the first connections. Still considering using an outdoor gellike glue to push in the bottom. The pattex stuff comes in tiny tubes and can only be used for touching points. I prefer to really fill the voids.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I glued them with "pattex" 2-component glue for outdoor use, extra strong. Something like 28kg per squar cm. That is easy for the first connections. Still considering using an outdoor gellike glue to push in the bottom. The pattex stuff comes in tiny tubes and can only be used for touching points. I prefer to really fill the voids.
That sound like a glue we know as 'Araldite' here. I glued some rocks with it about 20 years ago and still holding.
I have seen epoxy putty used more recently to make large bonsai rock settings. This gets round the need for close contact between surfaces and can be sued to fill voids as mentioned. It does not dry clear though so need to take care when joining areas above soil line.
knead it.JPG
I have not used it myself but by all accounts it is as strong and durable as the thin epoxy glues.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I glued some rocks with it about 20 years ago and still holding.
Good to know :)

I did decide I need to pay attention to having the roots cross the joins, rather than follow them. That way if the seals break, the whole thing will start together the natural way.

SquatJar

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had good results filling gaps between rocks with gorilla glue. Its expands and fills the gaps and seems to hold tight as well. Just need to be careful it doesn't expand too much where it might be visible. Had this happen the first time but it was really easy to clean up after 1/2-1 hr when it was tacky but not set hard.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I've had good results filling gaps between rocks with gorilla glue. Its expands and fills the gaps and seems to hold tight as well. Just need to be careful it doesn't expand too much where it might be visible. Had this happen the first time but it was really easy to clean up after 1/2-1 hr when it was tacky but not set hard.
I’d be concerned about the longevity of a ‘urethane glue in a wet environment because polyurethane is somewhat soluble over time whereas epoxy isn’t. It would need to be mechanically separated. Water ingress with lots of freeze/thaw cycles may do it or root penetration perhaps, but I doubt it very much.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@leatherback if you can seal all the gaps, you can use JB Weld, I think this is the link for the German Amazon. They have different sizes, and they also have the Clear Weld, which could be tinted (I don't think they recommend it but I have done it) with solvent based stains.

Another great product, although is a putty as the one you used is Marine-Tex, I have used that to reinforce VW Beetle heads when doing oversized porting.. it is super strong and easy to work.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
😂😂😂 That story made it out to Germany?
Na, I only hear of gorrila glue as a non-self-inflating substance. So I did a bit of a search on different types of gorilla glue and somehow the web is plastered by some stupid girl using the stuff on her scalp and becoming a "poor her hit" even making big money in donations.

Stupidity pays, it seems, in this day and age.

Top Bottom