Root over rock trident, first bonsai

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
When I started bonsai I had 3 trees. A ficus cutting and small procumbens from House of Bonsai and a young ror trident from San Gabriel Nursery.

I am happy to say all 3 are alive and have undergone extensive development in my brief approaching 4 years doing this hobby.

Here is the tree as purchased in 2014:
20150320_171610.jpg

Small half to 3/4th inch trunk. I didn't really know what I was doing when I started out so it grew relatively unrestricted the whole year and had some basic primary branch selection.

3 years later:
IMG_20170902_203935_166.jpg

DSC00179.JPG
Spent one growing season in the ground growing sacrifice branches and this season selecting a front and continuing primary branch selection. Unfortunately the tree only had one cycle of growing out, wiring, and cutting back branches. I was gone for 2-3 months with all my trees under the care of my water system and my mom. Although development was slow this year I am happy that it is alive.

The bones are pretty good and it isn't just a tangle of branches under the leaves. I will post a bare shot in winter. I some more rammification and branch development in the lower regions since.
Here is the bare shot from last winter:
20170107_105351.jpg

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice!

So....
What was it like going to see all your trees again?
Exciting?

You fittin to help Ekim mount that ror when time comes?

Sorce

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I realized these images are massive. Next time I will resize them. You can press ctrl and minus (-) to zoom out and see better.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like it. Pretty cool. I should document my BVF inspired root over rock Eric Trident. LOL. The guy wires worry me, but you probably give your tree better attention than I do mine.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Julian, the trunk in the first picture does not look like much, but after thinning and some additional bending with the Guy wire it looks very nice. You apparently had a good eye for Bonsai from the start.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I realized these images are massive. Next time I will resize them. You can press ctrl and minus (-) to zoom out and see better.

That's nice thickening without creating reverse taper. I just wanted to note that I like the size of images and they work well on the phone.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When I started bonsai I had 3 trees. A ficus cutting and small procumbens from House of Bonsai and a young ror trident from San Gabriel Nursery.

I am happy to say all 3 are alive and have undergone extensive development in my brief approaching 4 years doing this hobby.

Here is the tree as purchased in 2014:
View attachment 159762

Small half to 3/4th inch trunk. I didn't really know what I was doing when I started out so it grew relatively unrestricted the whole year and had some basic primary branch selection.

3 years later:
View attachment 159763

View attachment 159765
Spent one growing season in the ground growing sacrifice branches and this season selecting a front and continuing primary branch selection. Unfortunately the tree only had one cycle of growing out, wiring, and cutting back branches. I was gone for 2-3 months with all my trees under the care of my water system and my mom. Although development was slow this year I am happy that it is alive.

The bones are pretty good and it isn't just a tangle of branches under the leaves. I will post a bare shot in winter. I some more rammification and branch development in the lower regions since.
Here is the bare shot from last winter:
View attachment 159764
Your last image...

You have a Y formation with two heavy branches.

Choose one if you're going to keep it that tall.

Your trunk has little taper up to that point. That's unfortunate.

The way these things are made is to focus on getting the roots to attach and meld onto the rock. This is done by letting runners grow unchecked for a while, and then cutting them back. Repeatedly.

Then, once the roots have clasped the rock, the trunk is chopped and regrown. Then the branches are developed. Then ramification.

I wish there were a better/faster way! You can do it faster, but the quality of the final product will suffer.

Which stage do you see this tree in?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Your last image...

You have a Y formation with two heavy branches.

Choose one if you're going to keep it that tall.

Your trunk has little taper up to that point. That's unfortunate.

The way these things are made is to focus on getting the roots to attach and meld onto the rock. This is done by letting runners grow unchecked for a while, and then cutting them back. Repeatedly.

Then, once the roots have clasped the rock, the trunk is chopped and regrown. Then the branches are developed. Then ramification.

I wish there were a better/faster way! You can do it faster, but the quality of the final product will suffer.

Which stage do you see this tree in?
Hi Adair, thanks for the feedback. I understand the issue with the taper. The tree did spend 2 seasons growing sacrifice branches with one in the ground. I'd like to say that there is a lot more taper than what you see in the photo. I was debating on keeping the Y last spring but I think it adds value and nice movement to the tree. It's not just a heavy single branch. It's been cut back, transitions carved, and regrown over the past 2 years. I will post a new bones picture this winter at the intended front to show what I see.

Don't get me wrong. I understand what you are saying and I'm not trying to be stubborn. I do build many of my trees with your approach in developing the trunk, branches, and rammification through a succession of long grow out periods and hard cut backs. I have a good vision for this tree and I'm not taking shortcuts to get there. I will agree that on my clump maple I posted previously your suggestion is the superior approach. I may be forced to sell that tree because my time is getting increasingly restricted and I cannot oversee a lot of development and training.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Adair, thanks for the feedback. I understand the issue with the taper. The tree did spend 2 seasons growing sacrifice branches with one in the ground. I'd like to say that there is a lot more taper than what you see in the photo. I was debating on keeping the Y last spring but I think it adds value and nice movement to the tree. It's not just a heavy single branch. It's been cut back, transitions carved, and regrown over the past 2 years. I will post a new bones picture this winter at the intended front to show what I see.

Don't get me wrong. I understand what you are saying and I'm not trying to be stubborn. I do build many of my trees with your approach in developing the trunk, branches, and rammification through a succession of long grow out periods and hard cut backs. I have a good vision for this tree and I'm not taking shortcuts to get there. I will agree that on my clump maple I posted previously your suggestion is the superior approach. I may be forced to sell that tree because my time is getting increasingly restricted and I cannot oversee a lot of development and training.
Deciduous trees are hard. They take a long time to develop. Good luck with your tree!

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would agree that the Y in this case is jarring and tense. Eye isn't sure where to go. Doesn't allow for a smooth cycling from pot, trunk, taper....pot trunk taper.

It's not even about being a bonsai rule, it's just not satisfying to look at.

However that's a nice problem to have because you have two good choices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom