Root-over-rock Trident maple question

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm getting ready to start a few R.O.R tridents and was wondering if it would be advantageous to split the trunks vertically into several sections; and basically starting with a split trunk around the rock rather than growing roots down over the rock.

My main concerns would be to get the tree "seated" on the rock without tearing one of the sections beyond repair, or creating an unnatural look.

Anyone have any experience with this?

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tridents are one of the most natural trees for ROR. The roots easily flatten out and hug the rock in a very pleasing manner.

Just follow standard techniques and you'll be very pleased in a few years - no need for trunk splitting that I can think of.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Splitting trident trunks for ROR will result in a weirdly unnatural looking tree in the end. The idea is not to force the tree onto the rock, but to grow it over the rock, so it "hangs" on the rock naturally.

Usually, the best ROR tridents are grown out from seedling stage on their rocks, with gradual selection of roots that embrace the rock naturally. This is accomplished in a number of ways, from sand filled sleeves that fit around the rock, to selectively anchoring promising roots to the rock with clips and cement...The top of the tree is grown out, maximizing root development. The tree is usually trunk chopped in the final stages to force taper and movement into the final product. THe roots, however, should be largely complete by then,

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brian,

In my experience, you get the best results from rooted cuttings or seedlings as rockm pointed out.

What age are the trees that you are working with?

It is not impossible to adapt a mature tree to grow over a rock. They just present a different set of circumstances and it would probably take a bit longer to achieve your objective.

In my opinion, I don't think splitting the trunk would get you where you want to go. I have found that mature trident wood is a bit on the stiff side and can snap if bent to severely.

I have several root-over-rock tridents in progress. If you are interested, I will post some photos on how they were developed.

Regards,
Paul

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have several root-over-rock tridents in progress. If you are interested, I will post some photos on how they were developed.

Please do!

Thanks for the tips, After reading some, I decided to try with a 2-year old cutting and a 1-year old cutting and not split trunks.

Not exactly top-rate craftsmanship, but here they are. The 1-year old is on a rock I especially like; it's been on my bench for years. I put the cutting in a crevice; not on top, so it should make for an interesting composition in about 20 years:cool:

Attachments

• DSC02833.jpg
    DSC02833.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC02834.jpg
    DSC02834.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 271

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please do!

Thanks for the tips, After reading some, I decided to try with a 2-year old cutting and a 1-year old cutting and not split trunks.

Not exactly top-rate craftsmanship, but here they are. The 1-year old is on a rock I especially like; it's been on my bench for years. I put the cutting in a crevice; not on top, so it should make for an interesting composition in about 20 years:cool:

Brian,

I'll get the photos together and get another post started as soon as I can.

Looking at the photos you posted, I would recommend using more plastic to wrap the roots. In the first photo, you left a lot of space where the roots can grow out away from the rock. I normally wrap the tree/rock combination like a mummy. I only leave space for the roots to grow down along the rock and out of the bottom of the wrapped area.

Regards,
Paul

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
ROR Update:

The same two from above in March '11...
DSC05637.jpgDSC05685.jpg

And in March '12...
ROR Trident 1 2012.jpgROR Trident 2 2012.jpg

Both are in the ground at the moment, and will be pruned back to a low shoot in the next couple weeks.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like you are off to a good start on both of these trees Brian.

Out of the two, I like the tree planted on the vertical rock the best.

Cheers,
Paul

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Me too.

You think it would be wise to cut these back now. Seems such a waste of time to get it on the rock and then work on the upper part later.

I did it in reverse. Made the tree first and then attached it to a rock.

Attachments

• DSC_000500053.JPG
    DSC_000500053.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 178

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks. The tall one definitely has more interesting roots, but I'm not at all happy with how it's seated. I'm concerned that if I don't cut it back soon, the trunk will grow out of proportion. It could likely wait until next spring, but the runners are getting over 6' tall and I don't want it to be too coarse. From today...
IMAGE_DF4B0A38-507F-4F18-8820-5D6C2223A60F.JPG

The shorter one is sitting nicely and spreading out pretty well. I want a lot of trunk movement and taper down low. I see them finishing out around 14"...
IMAGE_F40E208D-BB61-416B-B35C-A2F5387EFFDA.JPG
IMAGE_0F7482C2-70D2-43E3-BE71-AE93274516CE.JPG

Al, what hesitations do you see cutting them back now? Likely they'll form a good callus, and will add another trunk section my fall...?

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm thinkin none. I would make sure I had a really strong leader to cut back to. I used to think tridents were bullit proof, but I have lost some beheading them hopeing for a pop and got none.

Maybe prune it by half and see if the base pops a few and then cut it back next month. I forget about your shorter season so maybe half this year and then the rest next spring?

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool to see the progress, thanks for posting. They seem to be growing super fast, at least compared to how slow things grow where I live.

shane martin

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks. The tall one definitely has more interesting roots, but I'm not at all happy with how it's seated. I'm concerned that if I don't cut it back soon, the trunk will grow out of proportion. It could likely wait until next spring, but the runners are getting over 6' tall and I don't want it to be too coarse. From today...
IMAGE_DF4B0A38-507F-4F18-8820-5D6C2223A60F.JPG

The shorter one is sitting nicely and spreading out pretty well. I want a lot of trunk movement and taper down low. I see them finishing out around 14"...
IMAGE_F40E208D-BB61-416B-B35C-A2F5387EFFDA.JPG
IMAGE_0F7482C2-70D2-43E3-BE71-AE93274516CE.JPG

Al, what hesitations do you see cutting them back now? Likely they'll form a good callus, and will add another trunk section my fall...?

ANy update on these 2 Brian? They look like they're leaping out of the ground.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Not much to update yet. I'll dig them up again in 6 weeks or so and add another chop and work the roots over. The second one may be ready for a pot, or to be planted pretty high back in the ground. I don't want the roots to outpace the trunk, if that makes sense.

A couple recent shots of the original two, plus a third one I started last year, which is adhering nicely:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 82

shane martin

Seedling
Reaction score
Not much to update yet. I'll dig them up again in 6 weeks or so and add another chop and work the roots over. The second one may be ready for a pot, or to be planted pretty high back in the ground. I don't want the roots to outpace the trunk, if that makes sense.

A couple recent shots of the original two, plus a third one I started last year, which is adhering nicely:
Look forward to pics of these guys when they're up out of the ground Brian. ;)
Great job so far.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi Brian!
how is the tree doing??? I would love to see an update

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh man. Another thing Brian has got me interested in. I got a pine seedling growing on a huge rock already, but there's this other rock that I just might want to use for a trident next year. ;)

Top Bottom