Root over rock

Music4cash

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you do root over rock for any species? Yesterday I bought a dwarf Alberta spruce because it was on sale and looked nice... when I got it home and read a bit about how hard they are to train I realized that I probably can't get it to look all that nice...So if it's possible I want to leave it as a natural looking formal upright without doing any real pruning except for a bit of cleaning up old needles and no wiring. And in the spring repot it with the roots on one side over a rock slab to eventually make it more interesting...I want it to look like a big spruce growing next to a cliff where the roots grew over the rock a bit

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
RE: Root over rock. The idea is to plant the tree on the rock with the soil level high, at or near the original level relative to the trees original level (so the rock would be under the soil and roots). Then, over time you gradually lower the soil level. There are other ways to achieve similar results.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, almost anything. Just not rosemary and not olive. I’m currently trying a p.afra, it should look nice in the future

Top Bottom