Root-Over-Ruin

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
they are both looking good! cant wait to see when you unveil contestant number 2's roots! its crazy how long you have been working on these two trees! puts a lot of things in perspective, at least for me. collected a few maple seedlings the other day and they are gonna be used for root over probably rocks or whatever else i can find..haha...

look for my upcoming root over dog series...

I'm glad you found this thread informative.

I look forward to seeing what you can accomplish with your projects.

Regards,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love what you're doing with these! Great work :)

Just a thought; it might add to the feeling if you create a few more single bricks that are cracked and crumbling laying around the soil surface. -- If you use fertilizer cakes I don't know if it would be possible to make them look similar to the bricks as well?

I appreciate the positive feedback Dan.

Is this what you had in mind?

IMG_0009a.jpg
IMG_0013a.jpg
IMG_0014a.jpg

These extra pieces were actually made for contestant #2. However, they do illustrate the point I think.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Cheers,
Paul

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Paul,
for contestant #1 are you treating it primarily like a japanese maple to develop the canopy?

looking good:D

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's almost exactly what I was looking for. Obviously the bricks would need to match, but that does illustrate what I was thinking perfectly.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul,
for contestant #1 are you treating it primarily like a japanese maple to develop the canopy?

looking good:D

My intent is to develop a canopy that resembles the natural appearance of the Red Maples I see here locally. Kind of like a flame or vase shaped structure.

I have been applying the same techniques that are used to develop ramification on Japanese and Trident maples. They seem to work very well with this variety of Red maple.

I appreciate the positive feedback.

Cheers,
Paul

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul, how long do these A. Rubrum go dormant for winter? Do they need much of a dormancy living in Florida?

I saw your tree over at BSG in the Joy of Shohin thread. It's lookin great! :)

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul, how long do these A. Rubrum go dormant for winter? Do they need much of a dormancy living in Florida?

I saw your tree over at BSG in the Joy of Shohin thread. It's lookin great! :)

Thanks Dan, I appreciate the positive feedback.

In regards to dormancy, they normally drop their leaves sometime during November. Usually after the first cold spell. Depending on the weather, they normally start pushing new buds the third or fourth week of January.

Cheers,
Paul

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I had the pleasure of seeing this display at the Joy of Bonsai-Shohin event a few weeks ago. Paul has done a wonderful job on it and the pictures you see here do not do this piece justice. The detail and amount of work he put into it is incredible and evident.

I'm seriously thinking about trying one of these projects myself.

-Troy

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had the pleasure of seeing this display at the Joy of Bonsai-Shohin event a few weeks ago. Paul has done a wonderful job on it and the pictures you see here do not do this piece justice. The detail and amount of work he put into it is incredible and evident.

I'm seriously thinking about trying one of these projects myself.

-Troy

Thanks Troy, I appreciate the kind words.

I would encourage you to try one for yourself. I have enjoyed the challenge very much.

You know how to contact me if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Paul

IMG_0657a.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Paul Joseph Katich, age 61, died on Monday, June 12, 2017 in Jacksonville, Florida. Paul grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and was stationed in England and San Antonio,Texas while serving in the U.S. Air Force, 1974-1978. After moving to Jacksonville in 1978, Paul completed and maintained his Journeyman license in HVAC while earning his associate of arts degree with honors from Florida State College. An entrepreneur, over the years he started, owned, and operated two separate businesses; One business was in the environmental controls field, and the other in handcrafted bonsai pottery. Intelligent, inquisitive, and conscientious, Paul loved vegetable gardening, nature, travel, and making things. He excelled as an artist and craftsman in the fields of cabinet making, photography, bonsai, and bonsai pottery. In more recent years, he was recognized as one of the best American Bonsai Potters, with his work awarded and displayed in the National Bonsai & Penjing Museum at the United States National Arboretum.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Now I understand. First of all a death in the Bonsai community diminishes all of us and this one was significant. My thoughts and prayers to the family and close friends who will miss him on a personal and intimate level. I have felt this kind of grief, as many of us have, and I know there is little anyone can say that will assuage the pain. Just know that many many more people will feel this loss than you can imagine.

Top Bottom