Root-Over-Ruin

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am conflicted, great pix, great subject, but those roots have to be doing a real disservice to the beautiful ,are they real, ruins/history.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am conflicted, great pix, great subject, but those roots have to be doing a real disservice to the beautiful ,are they real, ruins/history.

Hi Bill,

There are a number of these sites around Cambodia.

Ta Prohm being one of them. Angkor Wat and Baray are two more.

I believe these were sites that flourished during the Khmer empire.

Just like the Jesuit sites in Argentina and the Mayan sites in the Yucatan, once the people were gone, the jungle moved back in to reclaim what they left.

Regards,
Paul

If you look at entry #39 of this thread you will see a few more photos that I posted earlier.

Jake

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brilliant thread! I'm more like a stalker on these forums, rarely posting, but this deserves a mention! great progression series!! Any update on the trees?

Jake

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brilliant thread! I'm more like a stalker on these forums, rarely posting, but this deserves a mention! great progression series!! Any update on the trees?

Jake

Hello Jake,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the positive feedback very much.

Here are some update photos of contestant #1.

These were taken early last month.

Before:
IMG_0020a.jpg

After
IMG_0041a.jpg

I am satisfied with the nebari on this tree and thought it was time to get it out of the grow box and into it's first pot.

I'll update the second one when I get the photos sorted.

Cheers,
Paul

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome progression! Thanks for the update Paul.

Eric

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And how about these? You probably haven't had leaf drop in Florida but I'd certainly love to see how these fared this season. Also, may I ask what method you used to sprout your maple seeds?

Thank you and WOW!

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And how about these? You probably haven't had leaf drop in Florida but I'd certainly love to see how these fared this season. Also, may I ask what method you used to sprout your maple seeds?

Thank you and WOW!

Your welcome and here are a few current photos.

Contestant #1

IMG_0007a.jpg

IMG_0010a.jpg

Contestant #2

IMG_0012a.jpg

As you can see, the leaves are just about done for the season here in my little corner of the world.

I'll be sorting the branches out on these two trees in the next couple of weeks.

In regards to your question about sprouting the seeds - I don't do anything special. I collect the red maple seeds when they ripen (normally in late February) and plant them immediately in some potting soil. Then I let nature do the rest. The germination rate is usually around 90%.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Paul

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
That first one is looking awesome, Paul. Thanks for the update.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That first one is looking awesome, Paul. Thanks for the update.

Your welcome Mat.

I appreciate the positive feedback.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I hope to see you at next months JOB event.

Cheers,
Paul

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Paul, aren't you part of the north Fla bonsai club? I was the new guy this past week. If so i would love to see these trees in person, maybe next meeting?
Drew

Last edited:

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
did you repot this year?

Hello Jason,

No, I did not re-pot either of the trees this year.

Both trees have recently been leaf pruned so there is not much to see at this time.

If you are interested I will post an update when they leaf out.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards,
Paul

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
Hello Jason,

No, I did not re-pot either of the trees this year.

Both trees have recently been leaf pruned so there is not much to see at this time.

If you are interested I will post an update when they leaf out.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards,
Paul

I'd love to see these in leaf....any pics?

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
im with these guys! we are very interested in this thread! very good information and you explain everything clear and simple. Thank you for documenting this progression over the past 7 years. The trees look great! gonna go collect some maple seedlings and get them into some tubes!

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ask and you shall receive.

Here are some updated photos of the two trees.

Here is contestant #1 as it looked in January.

IMG_001a.jpg

Here is contestant #1 as it looks today.

IMG_001b.jpg

Here is contestant #2 as it looks today.

IMG_003.jpg

Neither tree was repotted this year.

The focus for contestant #1 has been canopy development.

The focus for contestant #2 has been further root development. That is why it is still in the grow box with the 2x4's strapped to the ruin. I have left the tree grow unchecked until this week to encourage the roots to thicken up. With the 2x4's strapped as they are, the thickening roots should spread across the ruin and flatten out instead of growing away from the surface of the wall.

I appreciate your interest guys.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Paul

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
they are both looking good! cant wait to see when you unveil contestant number 2's roots! its crazy how long you have been working on these two trees! puts a lot of things in perspective, at least for me. collected a few maple seedlings the other day and they are gonna be used for root over probably rocks or whatever else i can find..haha...

look for my upcoming root over dog series...

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love what you're doing with these! Great work :)

Just a thought; it might add to the feeling if you create a few more single bricks that are cracked and crumbling laying around the soil surface. -- If you use fertilizer cakes I don't know if it would be possible to make them look similar to the bricks as well?

Top Bottom