Root prep variation

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After pretty miserable survival rate (1 out of 6) on mulberries collected this spring I've been thinking of trying a modified approach to get feeder roots closer in to the trunk. I've read in many places to spade around the tree cutting surface roots and forcing the fine feeders to develop closer in to the trunk allowing an easier transition for the tree.

Mulberry are tough trees as anyone who has tried to get rid of one will probably attest. However they don't seem to do so well adapting to a container, presumably because of the hefty tap root. I'm thinking perhaps to dig down on one side of the tree and sever the tap root several inches down. Presumably this would cause more feeder roots close enough to the trunk base to allow for more successful collection.

Pretty simple minded logic but it seems sound. On the other hand, if it was that simple I'd think I would have read about it somewhere. Anyone have experience with trying something similar, perhaps on an oak?

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it's a braindead idea I promise it won't bother me. :)

Bueller?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Grog. Dune rocks.

You might also consider air layering or ground layering trees that you want to collect. You automatically get the kind of roots you are looking for. I don't see any reason it couldn't be done to mulberries.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amen to that about Dune though I'm not so keen on what his son's been writing.

Good point about layering. As easy as they take as cuttings I'd imagine they would layer pretty easily. Thanks.

Top Bottom