Root pruning by 1/2 for Azaleas

Dundee

Seedling
Reaction score
6806FE82-7DC1-4FFB-A23E-3C7469FBACBF.jpeg
I dug up what I assumed was a small azalea, but it turns out it was cut way back some time ago. It had very thick hard roots and very few maybe 5 small flexible roots. What kind of root pruning can be done?
758C7990-EF7D-4312-B28A-779102FE905A.jpeg
For the time being it’s in a pot till further information. Thank you

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Gosh. This looks like an old landscape azalea that was stepped on or run over or hit by a falling tree!

Given the condition it is in I'd not root prune if for at least a year while it gets healthy. However, I'd recommend you completely, gently, root wash it if you haven't already after blooming and get rid of all the old soil. Then plant in an entirely new media to help it recover.

Here are a couple ideas for media,

1. 50/50 rough peat/sifted small old pine bark with a bit of manure tossed in if you have it.
2. 90/10 Kanuma/pumice of the same size. medium or small will work
3. Ye Olde Nursery azalea blend = 50/50 rough peat/perlite. Watch this mix as it can dry fast and then look like it takes in water but hasn't. If its dry, submerge it.

Good luck and let us know how things go.
Cheers
DSD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
My experience is azaleas can tolerate massive root reduction without any harm. I have dug many from gardens and reduced roots way back, at least 75% of roots chopped off.
It is true that healthier plants recover better from root reduction but this one does have good leaves and good flowering so I think it should be possible to cut roots hard now and repot into better potting soil to recover. Remove any flowers so the plant can concentrate on new roots and shoots.

Good luck.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ll defer to @Shibui ‘s advice. He seems to have more experience moving damaged azaleas. I’ve moved a goody number of landscape azaleas but never bonsai‘ed an azalea with so little foliage to roots ratio.

Good luck and keep us posted on this project.
DSD sends

Dundee

Seedling
Reaction score
Gosh. This looks like an old landscape azalea that was stepped on or run over or hit by a falling tree!

Given the condition it is in I'd not root prune if for at least a year while it gets healthy. However, I'd recommend you completely, gently, root wash it if you haven't already after blooming and get rid of all the old soil. Then plant in an entirely new media to help it recover.

Here are a couple ideas for media,

1. 50/50 rough peat/sifted small old pine bark with a bit of manure tossed in if you have it.
2. 90/10 Kanuma/pumice of the same size. medium or small will work
3. Ye Olde Nursery azalea blend = 50/50 rough peat/perlite. Watch this mix as it can dry fast and then look like it takes in water but hasn't. If its dry, submerge it.

Good luck and let us know how things go.
Cheers
DSD sends
Thank you DSD. I was referencing your Azalea write up. It was helpful!!
I picked up peatmoss and a blend of Double-sifted pine bark fines, coarse river sand #3, horticultural vermiculite, calcine clay, and frit.

Dundee

Seedling
Reaction score
My experience is azaleas can tolerate massive root reduction without any harm. I have dug many from gardens and reduced roots way back, at least 75% of roots chopped off.
It is true that healthier plants recover better from root reduction but this one does have good leaves and good flowering so I think it should be possible to cut roots hard now and repot into better potting soil to recover. Remove any flowers so the plant can concentrate on new roots and shoots.

Good luck.
Shibui thank you for the advice. I’ve pruned a good number to the woody roots seen in the picture. Down to about what would fit into a bonsai pot I have. As mentioned above to @Deep Sea Diver, I have repotted in the medium mix. Also, I’ve removed the flowers. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom