Root pruning trees in the ground

Kahless

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I have got about 20 trees that I planted in the ground in the last 2 years and since spring is here (sort of) and the buds are swelling on some of them I decided to start lifting them and pruning the roots. I will be placing them back in the ground with tiles underneath. I could wait until warmer temperatures later in the month but I figured I would get a start since there are so many.

Two questions:
If the low temperatures are going to be freezing at night (29 F lowest), is this going to be harmful to ground trees that have recently had rootwork? I will cover with mulch after.

If I have to remove a lot of roots, should I reduce the top a bit too?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have got about 20 trees that I planted in the ground in the last 2 years and since spring is here (sort of) and the buds are swelling on some of them I decided to start lifting them and pruning the roots. I will be placing them back in the ground with tiles underneath. I could wait until warmer temperatures later in the month but I figured I would get a start since there are so many.

Two questions:
If the low temperatures are going to be freezing at night (29 F lowest), is this going to be harmful to ground trees that have recently had rootwork? I will cover with mulch after.

If I have to remove a lot of roots, should I reduce the top a bit too?
If the ground is not frozen and you are able to dig them easily, then placing them back in the ground with mulch around the surface will be sufficient protection. Provided you do not return to frozen conditions this spring.
You have not mentioned the type of tree you are working with so there may be some exceptions, however if they grow readily in the ground in your climatic zone then this should not be an issue.

Kahless

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
If the ground is not frozen and you are able to dig them easily, then placing them back in the ground with mulch around the surface will be sufficient protection. Provided you do not return to frozen conditions this spring.
You have not mentioned the type of tree you are working with so there may be some exceptions, however if they grow readily in the ground in your climatic zone then this should not be an issue.
Thanks for the response. The trees are crabapples, hackberry, Amur maple, and Linden mostly.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the response. The trees are crabapples, hackberry, Amur maple, and Linden mostly.
Would not consider any of those to be a particular problem with what you are intending to do. Water them in well when replacing in the ground. avoid fertilization for a month. Best wishes.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Yes, give them a rootwork if you can, let the roots grow for too many years mean to make really big cuts when diggin them up in the future

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I don't have to contend with frozen soil here but root pruned trees cope with occasional frosts and below freezing nights. I have lots of trees in grow beds and they almost all get dug each winter. To get through all mine I start right after mid winter so my trees manage with regular night temps just below freezing.
Hardy trees that are dormant will not be a problem.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you gotta get tiles under them, then do it before bud break. Should have been done two years ago 😁 . Two years is not much time for roots to take advantage of in-ground growing.

Five is more like it for anything significant.

Top Bottom