root rot and hydrogen peroxide

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have heard that HP can be used in a diluted solution to get rid of root rot in bonsai trees. This is the article. Input would be appreciated. Thanks, Peter

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Unless you’re taking an “organic” approach I’d look more toward phosphorus based systemic products to drench, such as reliant. HP does nothing for the plant itself other than sanitize away the fungi. You’re still leaving your plant susceptible to root rot in the future and ultimately compensating for a weak tree.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have heard that HP can be used in a diluted solution to get rid of root rot in bonsai trees. This is the article. Input would be appreciated. Thanks, Peter

I would question the implication of curative aspects, however i can vouch for preventative aspects having used it in my cutting propogation enclosure. Noticeable difference from prior experience without.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It will kill the external layer of bacteria, but it doesn't cure it. This is because the cause has to be dealt with, which is usually compacted soil and overwatering.
Most fungi survive peroxide treatments. In the lab we use peroxide to clean fungal cultures from bacteria.

HP does interact with plant hormones like auxins and gibberilins. It plays a big role in germination.

Acer palNATEum

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
It will kill the external layer of bacteria, but it doesn't cure it. This is because the cause has to be dealt with, which is usually compacted soil and overwatering.
Most fungi survive peroxide treatments. In the lab we use peroxide to clean fungal cultures from bacteria.

HP does interact with plant hormones like auxins and gibberilins. It plays a big role in germination.

Please expand on the role it plays with hormones and germination. Or at least does it make things germinate quicker/slower, better/worse?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The activation of the germination cascade is partially regulated by peroxide. It should make things germinate quicker because exposure to external peroxide triggers more dormant cells at the same time compared to normal processes.
The interaction with auxins is still being investigated, for some reason exposure to peroxide and auxin triggers a stronger response. But this is chemically counter intuitive since peroxide acts as an oxidizer, and auxins are very sensitive to oxidation. Some papers say that this response is partially related to the increase of free hydrogen (lower pH = more stable auxin and better uptake of said auxin) but there are some hints that for auxins to do their work, the plant needs to produce peroxides to complete the (auxin-)resulting cascades. On the other hand, there are scientists that believe that the presence of free radicals (a by-product of peroxide breaking down, and peroxide itself as an oxidizer) in plant tissues trigger a stronger healing response, causing the plant to send more resources to the damaged tissue.
When we dive deeper in the behavior of damaged plant material, some trials have shown that when plants are damaged and start leaking phenolic compounds (broken down carbohydrates - to keep things easy - that inhibit growth), these can be countered or broken down by oxidation. But vitamin C as well as active charcoal are even better since they inhibit the formation of, or take up, those compounds.

When cloning plants in water, it's best to use peroxide to stop bacteria from caking up the stems. They can form gunky layers on damaged plant material within hours, whereas with peroxide added to the solution, this takes days. Once the gunk is there, peroxide isn't going to remove it. Bacteria are great at making communities and forming biofilms, ask any dentist; the plaque on your teeth is just bacteria building houses together, a friendly community. Most mouthwashes contain around 1.5-3% peroxide to kill anaerobic bacteria en reduce the plaque as well as whiten the teeth through oxidation of... for instance phenolic compounds found in coffee, tea and cigarettes. Mouthwash also contain excessive amounts of fluoride that will kill your plants.

If anyone, or their kids, is interested in the strong oxidative effects of peroxide. Find a scab or a small wound somewhere on your body and dab some 3% peroxide on it. Within a minute it should turn into bubbling white goo. Wash it off with some water and let it heal again. If you're not showering the wound with it, it should leave no damage. Also, never use more than 3% on your body whatsoever.
This test is also done on bacteria, to check for the presence of peroxidase, the enzyme that breaks down peroxide. It's an important test when classifying these micro-organisms.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I have had the same recommendation, from a couple of sources., including at least once user here (I forget who). I have used it on a couple of trees with some root rot, and it certainly seemed to help (and I've had no ill effects). As someone else in this thread pointed out, it's not going to deal with the organic material/roots that are rotten, that would require repotting and cleaning up, right? But if you don't want to further stress a sick tree it can help.

I've also used it very successfully for dealing with fungus gnats in my ficus when they are inside the house for over wintering.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
3% peroxide as a soil drench I have used. Note - the typical concentration of peroxide from local pharmacy for first aid is 3 %, so you can buy a bottle and use it without having to mess around with dilution. Just pour it on. Plants are pretty resistant to it, where as bacteria are not as resistant to it. Good stuff, strictly a topical, it will knock back on going bacterial problems, but as others have said, is not a systemic cure. Splashing 3% on leaves is not likely to cause damage. It does not even damage Phalaenopsis orchid blossoms I found from experience. So it can be splashed around. But remember it is just a topical sterilant, not really a batricide or a fungicide.

The grade of peroxide sold for greenhouse use is 30% active and is dangerous to get sloppy with, it will burn your skin and is an eye hazard. Eye protection mandatory when using the 30% peroxide.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can anybody comment on the impact of a 3% solution on mycorrhizae? Some ‘net sources say generally bad. It doesn’t seem like ‘endomycos’ would be impacted, but what about ‘ectomycos’? Also, is there any benefit for increased O2 in pines (JBP) that are staying too wet due to broken down substrate?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you HAVE root rot?

I'd like to know about the situation if you do.

Sorce

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Why are your roots rotting in the first place? This is the more important question.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Unpopular opinion.

Things rot after they die.

Prove me wrong.

Top Bottom